Chapter 5: Shoe-shine, Leather and a Hint of Sweat

Start from the beginning

“No! Her? Are ya sure? She’s the one who pushed Seth away. My, my she mus’ be a blind one ta turn down such handsom’ fella.” Handsome ass. Word sure travels around fast here.

Grinding my teeth together in frustration I swept past them. Why did the main road have to be the only road that directly led outside?  I’m sure there are far more interesting things to do around here.

Maybe not. The only shop, or trade that seemed to strike any interest in me at all was a shop that would rent out horses. I felt in my pockets for any money at all, but of course there was none. I’m sure one of the ranch hands would have some money… I briefly contemplated going back and asking one of them but then thought I’d have a better chance of dancing with a piglet on the moon while drinking champagne from a Hobo’s shoe. No, that doesn't make much sense, yes, the heat is definitely getting to me.

A couple of yards down the road, still in town, my shoes decided that it would be a wonderful time if ever to give me hell, if I was lucky perhaps I would get away with only a few blisters and half a foot.

Instead of risking loosing my feet I rushed to a near by shoe shop that was conveniently placed metres away.

The air inside was musty and smelt faintly of shoe shine, leather and a hint of sweat. I could hear the rustle of a brush bristling against the leather of a shoe from around the corner. I instantly presumed this might be the shop owner and in turn the image of an old, sweet man sitting hunched over a shoe floated on a peculiar bubble of it’s own into my mind.

With a squeak the bubble popped leaving behind a small boy of around ten years old, his dark brown hair was plastered to his forehead while oil smears over his flushed face. His head whipped up at the sound of my nearing foot steps, and I was met with two bright brown eyes studying my face.

As if he had found what he was looking for, he smiled widely revealing two sweet dimples on both cheeks. I couldn’t help but smile back before approaching him. Before I could even ask his name he spoke.

“You’re Rayne aren’t ya? The one from the Johnson Ranch huh?” I nodded in consent.

“Yes, but how did you know, I mean-“ He cut me off with a small flourish of his hand.

“’Cause I’m jus’ a boy who works in a shoe shop?” Sure. He laughed at this, then putting down his shoe shine brush he wiped his hands on the front of his plaid shirt before holding it out to me. “Jake. Jake Campbell’s my name. Need to know about anything o’ anyone then I’m yer man. Well boy.” He added after consideration.

“Okay then Jake, if I ever need information I’ll come straight to you. Now would you happen to have some old shoes that I could borrow, I promise I’ll pay you back next time I'm in town.” He grinned at me before holding out one finger then disappeared behind a shelf.

He returned with a box in his hands which he then handed to me. “Keep em, say like a welcome gift.” I couldn’t but reach out and ruffle his hair at this.

“That’s probably the nicest thing that anyone has said or done for me since I got here.” Jake smiled before taking on a more serious expression. He beckoned me closer.

“If any of those ranch hans are givin’ ya any trouble, jus’ tell me. I’ll fix em up for ya.” Forcing the smile back I nodded, feigning seriousness. A soft ‘aw’ left my lips before I could stop myself. He mock glared a bit before getting back to work, his face a picture of deep concentration.

I opened the box to find a pair of beautifully crafted leather ankle boots, a shiny brass buckle glinting merrily on each one. Quickly pulling my sandals off I pulled the new boots on and walked around the shop, sighing in contentment at the feel of soft leather brushing against my sore feet.

Holding my sandals in my hand I stepped out of the shop with a quick thank you directed at Jake.

The sweltering heat swept up on me with grim determination. Time to walk home.

An aggravated groan leapt from my lips as my feet started to move.

(An hour and a half later)

Heavy rain clouds mimicking dusk had started to creep into the sky, mixing the vivid blue with hues of soft iron grey. My feet were sore but not as sore as they would’ve been if it wasn’t for Jake.

I neared the stables just as a yawn stumbled out of my mouth, my eyes fluttering open and close at intervals.

Light bathed the rough earth floor at the entrance of the stable upon which the low clip clop of a horse could be heard. Strange, no one takes horses out with this weather. Narrowing my eyes suspiciously I watched as a shadowy figure emerged from the mouth of the stable.

Son of bitch! Someone’s stealing the horses! Without thinking I rushed forward grabbing onto the thief’s hand. A startled choke eloped from him before he began to retaliate.

The frightened horse neighed with a vengeance that could've woken the dead, or worse, my Grandma. I really didn’t want to deal with zombies or my Grandma.

With a final yank the thief finally plucked his hand out of my grasp, my nails scratching the surface of the back of his hand. The ratbag hissed then began to scamper at the sound of fast paced footsteps echoing from near by.

Grabbing the horse I tried to calm it down but the horse was still neighing like a maniac and it was right then that my Grandma decided to make an appearance.

So here I was, in the middle of the evening, home early from the saloon, looking like I was trying to steal a horse. Yep this looks promising. Promising to be absolutely awful that is.