Chapter 4

That is not news I wanted to hear. Not. At. All.
I was weak. I was tired. I had a throbbing nose and my ribcage was probably incredibly bruised. And then I hear news, that Ravensdusk-a peninsula country-was to be attacked. Scots Prussia was on our border. I didn't even have to do battle plans to know we were at odds.
And why had I been called? I was a maid. I wasnt even needed in the conversation.

"I'll help you up." He said to me, pulling me up. He smiled at me briefly, then his face turned grave. "I expect I'm needed for a meeting somewhere in the palace. I have to go look. Be safe. Do not do anything drastic, okay?"
He kissed me, then he put his helmet under his arm and left.
I waited a bit, then headed out after to go to the Grand Hall. When I stepped inside it the atmosphere was so tense I almost reversed my steps. I felt like I didn't belong.
The room smelled clean and important. A fireplace crackled in a corner. Oil lamps hung on the walls. It was cosy. The king sat on his throne, his wife on his left, his daughter on his right. The rest of the seats were filled with officials, captains and advisors. Some maids and guards stood at attention around the room.
The princess, looking slightly pale, but as usual, hopeful in whatever circumstance came to me. I bowed low, being formal. "Your majesty." She smiled at me warmly.
"Are you okay Jam?" She said worry beginning to crowed how face.
"I'm okay. Are you?" I whispered knowing that wasnt a very formal sentence.
"I'll survive." She held her chest and took big gasps. I laughed slightly. "Quite breathtaking wasn't it? I mean, who doesn't love a good run and being thrown big sharp stones?"
She led me to a seat that had been saved for me, right next to her. I hesitated under the millions of eyes and sat down. The official next to me discretly held his nose. I kept myself calm and formal and ignored him. I didn't need his drama.
"Now we are all present, lets talk about the matter at hand." Said the King. I don't know how he managed not to feel about scared by all the eyes staring at him. But then again, if you've lived a life where people are always staring at you, this will be a piece of cake.
"Bring him in." The King nodded to two guards. they left for a couple of minutes and came back with a writhing rebel hurling insults at all the royal family, and the kingdom.
A guard hit him hard in his jaw, enough to shut him up.
"Who sent you?" The king asked.
"Why would I tell you, you royal piece of-" a heavy armoured fist connected with his chin. The rebel dropped to his knees. He took in deep breaths,  glowering with hate at everyone on the table.
"King of Scots Prussia."
"What was his message?"
" 'I, the King of Scots Prussia, has declared war on Ravensdusk. There is no way to make amends for the sins you have committed.' " He recited.
"Do you know what sins your King speaks of?"  The King asked.
"Are you honestly telling me you have no idea what you did?"
"Would you answer the question?" The princess growled. Everyone looked at her, surprised.
The rebel grinned. "The little wittle future queen is angry?" He mocked.
"I wonder what will become of this already-wretched place when she rules."
Elaina began to get up but I grabbed her hand stopping her. "He's not worth it. And we need him for answers." I whispered. She slowly went down glaring at the rebel.
"I should have dealt with him when I had the chance."
That's when I rembered her stitches. "What happened?"
"I'll tell you later." She said glaring at the rebel who was looking right back at her, smugly.
"Do you know what sins your King speaks of?" The king repeated.
"Let me say one thing. This is not the same king who you had an alliance with. This is the new king. The son."
"How did we not know this?" The king asked the officials.
Before they could reply the rebel said cooly.
"Because he had declared Ravensdusk an enemy the moment his Dad died."