4. Lunch

I stood outside the door of my art class, waiting for Phil to walk with me to lunch. I looked back inside the classroom and then back out to the hall.

I noticed that everyone was different compared to me. Besides the obvious differences like the ears and tail. They walked differently. They didn't walk straight. They would bend their back slightly and they weren't being very careful.

Nekos have a few things they do because of why they were made. Nekos were originally made as hybrids. It started out as an experiment to improve the genetic make-up of humans and then the 'doctors' added different kinds of DNA, such as a cat, to the first one and now they look like I do.

They were made to be 'servants' or workers for the 'normal' people. After all of the stuff added to their DNA, they did acquire some favorable qualities, good hearing, eyes, and some learned traits as well. Good posture, politeness, they only say what's necessary.

Although there aren't that many Nekos who actually have a family. It's not illegal or anything, just uncommon. If you were a family of Nekos, people would try to take their kids away from the parents, because to them, they're just a pet.

To me, that was the worst thing I could've been called. I'm not a pet.

I was pulled away from my thoughts when Phil put his hand on my arm. "Dan, Ready to go?"

I nodded still a bit distracted.

"Come on." He grabbed my wrist and started walking to the Lunch room."

"So we're sitting with...Chris and Pj?"

"Yeah, and our other friends, Louise and Cat."

"Her name is Cat?"

"Yeah, like the animal."

"Is that a common name?"

"Hm..I don't know, kind of."

"Oh, cool, I guess."

"She's nice but be careful, she might get clingy."

"Why?"

"You're attractive."

I looked at him confused for a second, No one had ever called me that before.

"What does that mean?"

"Um..It means you're pretty but a bit more."

"Oh, I get it now. You are too."

"Thanks." He smiled and led me a table full of people and he sat down, I sat beside him and someone I had never seen before.

I leaned over and whispered, "Phil, weren't you going to show me that website thing?"

"Hm? Oh yeah I was going to show you Tumblr." He got his phone out and I got mine out, quickly texting my mum and putting it back. "So, First, you set up a little profile or blog and then when you find stuff you like or think is funny, you click the little heart or the reblog button."

"That's cool."

"Yeah, I'm on there all the time."

"Even when you're at school?"

He laughed slightly, "No, when I'm at home and stuff."

"Oh." The girl beside me was staring, quite obviously, making me move closer to Phil.

"Hi." She smiled at me

"Hi.." I tried to grab Phil's hand again but he had moved it before I could reach it.

"I'm Cat! They said Phil was going to bring the new kid to sit with us."

"Yeah, we have all of our classes together, except for Art. Same time, just different teachers."