Chapter One

Song Choice: Dangerous Mind by Within Temptation

When I woke up I knew something was wrong without even opening my eyes.

For one thing, I was lying in a nice comfortable bed that I did not remember climbing into. Nor, did it feel like my own; these sheets felt much too expensive to be the cheap cotton crap my mom liked to buy at Wal-Mart. I don't think Wal-mart even sold satin sheets which is what I currently found myself lying in.

Secondly, I had the worst headache. It felt like someone had smacked me in the head one too many times with a hammer. I've never had a headache this bad before. Unless I had been drinking, and even then, that had only happened once when I had a little too much alcohol. After that, I swore to myself that I would never ever do that again. So, unless someone forced fed me the stuff then that was not the case here.

The headache just got worse as I opened my eyes to study my surroundings.

I was definitely not in my own bedroom; the bed was too big and the room was way too clean. The furniture that was in the room was sparse, but what was there was elegant. There was a desk to the right of the bed that was clear of everything except a small lamp; right next to that there was a huge bay window with a nice window seat. The blinds were closed so I couldn't tell whether it was day or not; though one glance at the alarm clock sitting on the bedside table informed me of the time: 10:05; the only light that was in the room came from a small lamp that sat on the same table with the clock.

The sudden sound of a key in the door to the left of the bed made me jump and I jerked my head towards the sound; they locked me in here? What the hell?

A woman entered, probably no older than twenty carrying what appeared to be some pieces of clothing. When she caught sight of me on the bed, she smiled, her brown eyes lighting up, "Oh... good, you're awake... the Master will be pleased."

I arched my eyebrows at her words, The Master?

"Where am I?" I asked after finally getting my voice back after the girl's first statement. "What the hell is going on?" I asked when my first question got no reply.

She just smiled at me, "The Master will explain everything to you. Once you are presentable enough to see him of course." She glanced pointedly at my outfit then at my hair, which after a glance down at my body and a hand to me hair; I realized that I really needed to clean up. My clothes were rumpled and my hair felt greasy and dirty.

I scrunched my nose up in disgust at the feel of the dirty strands.

As I tried to wrack my brain to figure out how I had gotten here in the first place (since the girl was being no help at all), everything came flooding back to me

I had been at the new club in town, celebrating my best friend Tara's 21st birthday, having a great time, drinking and dancing with the many people that were there on the opening night. I had gone off to the bathroom and while I was in the small room washing my hands, I heard loud screams of terror and knew that something was seriously wrong. I quickly made my way back to the front. I remember people running, screaming and blood... so much blood. On the wall, the floor and dripping from the mouths of several of the patrons as they dropped what appeared to be lifeless bodies to the floor. I was hidden for now, watching the blood bath unfold before me as everyone was brutally murdered right before my eyes. I saw my best friend Tara, her eyes staring lifelessly as a large male dropped her body to the floor.

I watched as a man stepped up onto the raised stage, the one where the DJ had been playing loud rock music only minutes before.

"Are they all dead?" he asked, looking around expectantly. He was absolutely gorgeous. His features were very angelic. He had brown hair that reached just past his ears and light blue eyes from what I could tell. His features were sharp and just plain perfect.