8 - Let Me Break This Awkward Silence (Part 2)

Mikey POV

I don't even know where to start. There's so much I want to talk about.

"Where do we even start?" I asked.

"The beginning, I guess?"

"Like when we first met?" I asked.

"Sure."

"Okay," Now I had to think back to eighth grade, "Um, you had just moved to Belleville from Georgia. We had homeroom together-"

"Mrs. Sayers. All the desks were taken, so she put me next to you." She laughed.

"I remember you kept complaining that you were freezing. You kept saying 'Why is it so freaking cold here?' I had to keep telling you that it was because you were in Jersey, and it's always cold as fuck there."

"That's right. We had all our classes together after that. I got to know you a little better. Um, we always sat in the back of the room. It was, like, January when I moved, so you were my only friend. After about a month, you wanted me to meet your family-"

"And you thought I was freaking insane, but, you came to my house, anyway. You met Gerard and my parents. You thought Gerard was mentally insane," we both laughed, "Then after that, every Friday night, you would come over and we would stay up all night, drink coffee, watch movies, and just talk."

"You used to let me sleep in your bed and you would sleep on the floor. I used to think you were fucking crazy for doing that."

"And-" But I was cut off by Cassie and Gerard.

"Hey guys, we're gonna go walk around. So you two just stay here and talk." Cassie said and winked at Cole. I'm pretty sure that Cole doesn't know I heard everything she said about me. Cole just smiled and turned her attention back to me. Seconds later, both our phones started going off. She pulled her phone out of her pocket, and I picked mine up off the table. I laughed when I saw the text from Gerard.

"Did Gee just send you the same message he sent me?" She asked laughing.

"Probably." I said, laughing. She turned her phone around, revealing the same text Gerard had sent me. A text that just simply said, "Use protection!" It brought back so many memories.

"Okay, so where were we?" She asked.

"Um, eighth grade. Um, nothing else really happened until that summer. I met your parents and we hung out everyday. By the end of June you already had half my closet filled with your clothes." We both laughed. It didn't take long for Cole to practically move into my house.

"Let's see, um, ninth grade," Cole said, "I met Cassie, you and I would still hang out all the time, the bullying started." She hesitated the last part. It brought back a lot of painful memories for both of us.

"Okay, how about we skip that part?" I suggested, trying to change the subject as quickly as possible.

"It wasn't that bad." She whispered. Well that was a shit faced lie. I could see the tears form in her eyes.

"Cole, you didn't have to talk the girl you love out of suicide. I did. I had to run to that bridge and tell you that if you jumped, I would too." She started crying. I got up from my side of the table and walked over to her. I hugged her and she cried into my shoulder. It was so painful watching her cry. I wanted to break down next to her, but I couldn't. I have to be strong, for both of us.

"It's okay. It's okay." I whispered in her ear.

"It's never going to be okay." She said into my shoulder. I looked down at her wrists. She was wearing a long sleeve shirt, so I couldn't see them. She noticed I was staring and she knew what I meant. She slowly pulled her sleeves up. Right then and there, I was ready to break down crying. But I couldn't, remember? I had to stay strong.