Chapter 15: Another Anomaly.

Start from the beginning

“Hey Lucas, come sit with us.” Rivers called out and when Lucas made to shake his head Rivers spoke once more.

“You guys don’t have much time here so at least allow me to enjoy your company before you leave.” He said and that decided the matter.

Lucas only hesitated briefly before making his way over to us and folding himself into the chair opposite me. His gaze was firmly locked on our house guest and the way he fumbled with his phone told me he wasn’t completely comfortable sitting there with us. I figured it had to do with my presence.

“I was just trying to get Adrian to open up to me, something’s been bothering him but he won’t tell me what it is.”

I groaned at Rivers’ words and Lucas’s gaze flickered over to me briefly.

I decided it was probably best to change the course of our conversation just so we could avoid any unnecessary tension. “What do you mean we won’t be here long? Did Scottie tell you we were leaving?” I asked.

“He didn’t have to, the Alpha ordered you to leave, it’s not like you have a choice.” He said and Lucas spoke up.

“Thomas said he’d talk to him for us, see if we could get an extension.”

“Honey you’re not getting an extension, the Alpha told you to leave camp in front of a couple dozen pack members, if you stay that’ll undermine his rule whether or not he suddenly has a change of heart.” Rivers said wisely and I scoffed.

“We were leaving anyway, there’s no reason to stay.” I said more to Lucas than to Rivers and he nodded reluctantly.

“Besides, the council knows you’re here, they’ve issued a warning to Carson so you’ll have to leave either way.” Rivers continued.

My brows furrowed. “Since when does a pack council make rules?”

As far as I knew the Alpha’s rule was absolute.

“They don’t really, it’s just best for everyone if Carson takes their advice.”

“And you know this because?” I questioned. Unless he had some kind of executive status I didn’t see how he could be so informed about inside matters. From my less than limited knowledge of the wolf hierarchy I knew that much.

“Well when you’re good friends with the Alpha, the Beta and their mates you’re never really out of the loop.” He said it as if he was proud and I shrugged. Like I’d told them, it didn’t particularly matter to me who wanted us gone because as soon as Marcus gave the word, we were out of here.

“Don’t worry guys, I’ll visit you sometime.” Rivers assured us, then he uncrossed his legs and turned to face me. “I just realized you’re leaving and I haven’t even met your brother. It’s crazy, does he ever just slow down?” He asked and I smiled in amusement at his horrified expression.

“It’s probably best, he hates you guys.” Lucas drawled in a bored tone and I shrugged in agreement.

“You mean he hates wolves? or people who follow the law because-”

“Wolves, and before you ask, I have no idea why, he just does.” I told him and he shook his head in disbelief.

“He hates wolves yet he’s crashing in a wolf pack?”

“He’s kind of insane.” Lucas commented and we looked at each other, grinning.

“I’m serious Rivers the man’s a beast, it’s a good thing you haven’t met him he’d probably tear your head off just for looking at him wrong.” Lucas continued, clearly enjoying Rivers’ discomfort.