Interviews

••••

Sharna tapped her foot as Paul drove his truck to the California State Home For Girls. The nerves tingled inside her body. Today they would meet their daughter, their family. They pulled up and Paul parked the black truck. He grabbed her shaky hand as they entered.

"Hi, are you Mr. and Mrs. Kirkland?" The lady at the desk said sweetly.

"Yes ma'am," Paul said and smiled at Sharna, lightly squeezing her hand. She led them into a room with three chairs, and a desk, two chairs on the same side, one on the other.

"Have a seat and I'll send the first girl in," she smiled, then left. They sat down in thr hard chairs, and shifted to get comfortable. A girl with jet black hair and blue eyes walked in and sat down in front of the pair. She seemed just ad nervous as them.

"Hello there, whats your name?" Paul smiled.

"Shelby." She said shyly looking at her old tennis shoes.

"Well I'm Sharna and this is my husband Paul," she smiled.

"So what interests you?" Paul asked.

"Axes."

Sharna and Paul shared a look of confusion, but shook it off.

"Anything else?"

"Knives. I really like knives."

"And how old are you?" Sharna asked.

"That depends on what I feel."

"Ok...." They asked a few more things before moving on.

A tall girk with short blonde hair came in and sat down, not looking Sharna in the eye. "Hi," she whispered.

"Hi sweetie," Sharna said. She could already feel a connection with this one. The girl's cheeks turned a shade of red.

"Is everything ok?" She asked concerned.

"Yes, I'm sorry, I'm just hardcore fangirling right now. I love your dancing, and you in that matter."

"Awe thats so sweet!"

"So what's your name?" Paul asked smiling.

"Charlotte. For a while I asked people to call me 'Charna' with a 'ch' so I could be more like you, but I now prefer Charlotte."

Sharna couldn't stop smiling. This girl was amazing.

"So Charlotte, how old are you?"

"Eleven."

"Wow, I would've guess fourteen."

"Yeah I am pretty tall."

"What do you enjoy doing?"

"I love dancing and talking with my best friend here. She also is a big fan of you."

"What's her name?"

"Caroline."

After more questions they moved on. After about five, Sharna was ready with her decision, but they had one more. A smily girl with strawberry blonde hair came and sat before them, a grin spread across her face.

"Hi!" she said happily.

"Hi there, whats your name?" Sharna asked for sixth time that day.

"Katie!"

"Oh I like that!" Paul said.

"So Katie, what do you like?" Paul asked smiling.

"Dancing, singing, drawing, writing, reading, pretty much anything that makes me happy!"

Paul found a liking to this girl. He loved bubbly people, and Katie was most definitely bubbly.

"What about you?" Katie asked the couple.

"We both love dance, and we recently found out we can't have children, so that's why we are looking to adopt!"

"Oh thats good, adoption is a great path to go."

They talked for a bit longer until the lady returned with some paperwork.

"So have you taken a liking to one?"

"actually there are two we are interested in."

"Oh thats great!"