"I was on the way to his house but stopped a couple of houses down when I saw them both getting out of his house. He didn't see or hear my car either." I confessed, finally taking off my other earbud and wrapping the earphones around my phone after turning off "Do Not Disturb". "But I'm just gonna let it go, I'll figure it out eventually. Besides, if I felt like it was anything serious, I would have jumped out the car and tazed that bitch."

Melanie smirked knowingly, "you would do that. By the way, did you actually go to Chad's house?"

"Well, duh." I scoffed, pulling my damp hair into a high ponytail.

"What happened?" She inquired, bouncing on her feet with her eyes full of curiosity. I let out a huff before pressing my lips together, flickering my gaze to my lap. She stopped bouncing on her feet, her expression dropping to a panicked one. "What did you do?"

"I made him leave town."

"What?!"

"I handed him ten thousand dollars and gave him a week to pack his stuff and leave."

"Handed?!" She repeated in a higher but harsh tone. She let out a dry laugh, waving one of her hands in front of her and shaking her head. "W-Wait a minute," she dryly laughed again, pinching the bridge of her nose. "So you did the rich bitch move and offered him money so he can leave?!"

I bit the inside of the cheek- Melanie's face was tomato red and she started pacing back and fourth, laughing in a stressed manner. I had to do what I did for her own protection and sake.

"Yes, I did the rich bitch move and bribed him. Melanie, I had to! You don't know the next time he'll attempt to force himself on you or anyone else!" I defended, standing up.

"He won't!"

"How do you know that?!" I grabbed her shoulders, shaking her as if that was gonna knock some sense into her. "He can show up anytime, anywhere and try something again! If it wasn't for Jeremy showing up that night, you could've got raped! How can you not think of it that way?"

Melanie shoved my hands away from her shoulders, my arms dropping back to my sides. I was totally taken aback from her actions, my mouth slightly parted open. "No," she shook her head. "He wouldn't do that, he's a sweet guy."

Oh my gosh, I want to flip a table right now. She was being extremely naive, she just doesn't want to acknowledge the truth.  "Stop being so dumb, Melanie! You're way smarter than this! He's nowhere near sweet, he's just a piece of shit that lives in the ghetto and finds it necessary to sexually assault women. You don't know if you're his first victim or not!"

"Go to hell, Violet." She snapped. "Next time, don't do anything and just mind your own damn business!" She grabbed her cup from the ground and stomped out of the room, making sure to slam the door behind her.

I just stood there appalled, rubbing my hands down my face. Out of all these years Melanie and I been friends for, we never got into a fight. She specifically told me that she would never get into a fight with me, especially over a guy and that's exactly what she's doing right now. She may be upset at the moment but she'll thank me in the long run. I took my unfinished vanilla bean and threw it inside the nearby trashcan.

I lost my appetite again.

My cell phone vibrated in my sweatpants, my whole leg buzzing along with it. I fished it out of my pocket to see Jeremy's name flashing on the screen and a picture of him sticking out the middle finger with his tongue out and his eyes shut. I bit the inside of my cheek for the millionth time today, unprepared to pretend like nothing happened.