Prologue

"Happy birthday to Kitty Kat, Happy birthday to yoooooooou" Tony's screeching high pitched voice made me cover my ears. As tone deaf as he was I had always loved when he exaggerated songs to make me laugh.

"Are you one are ya two are you three are ya four  are you twenty-" he mocked teasingly.

"Hey wait you skipped 5, ANTHONY IM FIVEEE" I shouted in his ear as I stood on my seat to reach up to his face. He winced in pain because I obviously shouted to loud.

"Wait I thought you were seventy-two, you look just like my grandma" he joked with me while bopping my nose, i scrunched my face up and stuck my tongue out at him.

"No I'm 5 see 1-2-3-4-5" I put my fingers up right in his face so he could see me.

"Okay okay I believe you" he shoved my fingers down and smiled at me. "Now blow out your candles before they melt on the cake oh and make a wish" I closed my eyes and wished for the only thing that I had wished for.

I opened one of my eyes to see if Tony was staring and he was, he winked at me and at the same time we blew out the candles. He took me by my waist and placed me on his lap. He ran his fingers through my black curly hair and began to braid it, something I had taught him with my latest Barbie doll.

"So" he said while tying my hair. "What did you wish for?" He asked with his usual impatient tone, I rolled my eyes and turned back to meet his brown eyes. "Not telling you" I sang-song to him, he huffed and threw me up in the air causing me to shrill with laughter. He caught me mid air and placed my feet around his neck as he carried me to the garage and covered my eyes with his hands. "Where are we going?"

"Not telling you" he mimicked my voice right before I slapped the back of his head earning a loud and short OW from him.

I heard the door shut behind us and fingers being removed from my eyes. I began to peek and gasped when I saw a bright shiny blue bicycle in the middle of the garage next to Tony's collection of sports cars.

"Just like you asked and I got it in your favorite color" I squeeled and hugged his neck tight almost hard enough for him to stop breathing, he began gasping for air so I reluctantly let go.

"So aren't you loving the new bike or what?" He asked with a beaming smile on his face. It's not that I didn't love it, it's just not what I had wished for.

"Kat honey what's wrong, did I get the wrong color, is it the wheels? Darn it's the wheels isn't it-"

"No Tony it's just it's not what I wished for." He frowned and took me off his shoulders and placed me on the ground as he knelt down beside me and leaned against the wall.

"Kat...." He said in a patently voice, the same voice mine would use whenever they said I should stop talking or that I'm too spoiled.

"It's just I wanted this birthday to be special you know? Like to actually have mommy and daddy come here and.....well yah" I couldn't really finish the sentence, it was hard not having your parents there to wish you happy birthday and to make you a special breakfast and to be bombarded with gifts, they were the only other family I had other than Tony.

"Kat honey I'm so sorry" he wrapped his arms around me and began drawing circles in my back. "I know it's hard and you're so young but just please whatever you do don't get your hopes up. Mom and dad will promise all they want but their married to their jobs and with this baby they couldn't possibly have the time for us" he rolled his eyes as I stifled a giggle.

"Times are gonna get rough Kat and we can't just hope for mum and dad to be there for us, you have me Kat and soon you'll be big enough to take care of yourself."

"Wow great talk time" I replied sarcastically which was something I was learning to get the catch of.

At the age of 4 I had already been learning at grade 2 academics and was quite successful at it. Not to brag or anything but I was much smarter than the rest of the students. I couldn't help it. I was a stark.

"But they're coming home soon right? With the baby too?" I faithfully asked who my puppy eyes showing.

"God don't make that face at me, and yes they'll be home tonight but I have to put you to bed at 9 now go take a shower you smell!" He wafted his hand in the air and pushed me off my bum and shoed me out of the garage as I chuckled at him.

"Tell me when mum and dad come" I screamed before jumping on my bed,

"Yah yah now get ready and take a shower it's already 8 move it move it move it" he shouted like a military official. Like a video I had seen of dads good friend Peggy, commanding her trainees. One day I hoped to be like her but I never told that to anyone because it was un-lady like of me to do.

I just hoped one day I could tell my parents of my dream to serve just like the woman who I saw as my role model.

But how was I to know that the next day would be the last I'd see of my parents? The last day I'd feel true happiness?

And that was how S.H.I.E.L.D raised me.

My name is Katrina Stark. And this is my story.