.16 - Do You Love Me?

I had never been nervous about going to school until Tuesday. After I had walked out on Lane he had texted me at 2 am. When I woke up In the middle of the night, my heart skipped a beat as I unlocked my phone to view the message. After discovering it was some random fish emoji, I threw my phone across my bed in annoyance. Lane probably thought I was one of those overly emotional girls he couldn't stand.

I pulled at my cheer practice tshirt, trying to cover my tiny shorts as I made my way down the hallway to the art room to pick up the try outs paperwork. My stomach was in knots as I remembered Lane was in that class. I walked into the classroom, ignoring the students stares as I made my way towards Mrs. Wilkes' desk.

"Hi Brennan, let me grab those papers for you!" She jumped up from her desk and began to search through her filing cabinet. She pulled out the large stack of packets, handing them to me. "Can you also take the box of tryout tshirts and posters with you?"

"Oh yeah, of course." I reached for the box before realizing that there was no way I could lift it. "Too heavy."

"Oh sorry! Let me get someone to help you." She quickly looked around the room for a volunteer before her eyes landed on the one person I had hoped her to not choose. "Lane!"

He smirked at me before standing up in his seat and heading towards me. I flipped my hair over my shoulder, grabbing the stack of packers and the envelope with try out instructions. Lane grabbed the box easily, and followed me out the door. I sighed as I could feel his eyes on my ass as my shirt rode up. We walked down the hall in silence before we finally arrived at the gym where we held practice. I set the packets down on one of the bleacher seats, Lane doing the same with the box. I glared at him, waiting for him to leave on his own.

"Are you just going to play the quiet game?" He asked, his voice more of a purr than normal. I sighed. Luckily we were around the corner from girls, so no one could eavesdrop.

"Why not? It's obviously your favorite." I hissed.

He began to fake pout. "You've been behaving so badly lately, is it because I wouldn't kiss you?"

"Fuck off." I hissed as he began to mock me.

He smirked. "Does this mean we are over?"

I didn't reply to him as I quickly turned on my heel and marched away to continue practice and coming up with our try out dance.

********

Wednesday.

********

Thursday

********

Friday came around, the shooting in the back of our minds and the only thing I could focus on was how I had yet to speak to Lane again. To say I was heartbroken wouldn't of been the best way to describe it. I was more disappointed in myself. I knew that Lane wasn't serious about me and yet I still lied to myself, telling myself he actually did like me. Matty convinced me to go to Celia's party. Some how Celia had completely moved on from hating Mattys guts, realizing life was too short after Amber had passed away.

I put on my tightest crop top and some shorts as I made my way into the house. My hair had been curled and I was ready to, as Matty put it, break some hearts. Brandon was designated driver and drove my jeep since it was the biggest car. Brandon and Matty immediately went their separate ways, as Brett and I ran off to go see who could shot gun a beer faster.

A small crowd gathered around us, team Brennan and team Brett, as we held our beer cans, knives ready to stab.

"Ready."