.14 - Recovery

Everyone was in still in shock. It had been a week since the shooting. It was Monday, they had closed down the school for the last week so we finally returning. I hadn't seen Lane in the last week, and I didn't want to bother him. He had always been distant and kept to himself so I wasn't about to start bothering him, even now that I had developed feelings.

Yeah. I liked Lane. I had come to terms with it after he had spent the night. Liking Lane was tricky, because life was a game to him so for all I knew I was nothing but a game. Lane had always made it a point to remind me that he was the villain in the story, although at this point it seemed exactly opposite. But maybe that was what he wanted? I had still yet to solve why my brothers hated him so much, although it seemed as if they didn't anymore.

I pulled into my regular parking spot, it was a rainy day- very fitting for that day. I wore a pair of yoga pants and a gigantic pullover hoodie(at this point the majority of my wardrobe was stolen brother clothing), my hair in a bun and no makeup on. Matty had decided to ride with me that morning, both of us deciding we needed the emotional support. Matty and Brandon decided to become an actual 'thing' and had become Facebook official two days ago, leaving Brett as the single Wolf brother.

"Today is going to suck." Matty grumbled, taking a sip of her coffee. She was dressed similar to me, expect just a plain blue tshirt (stolen brother clothing) instead of a hoodie. We entered the school, not very many people there, probably still recovering from the homecoming nightmare.

Matty followed me to my locker, not bothering to put up her own stuff, and stuffing her backpack into my locker. She smiled at me sarcastically. "Sharing is caring."

"I can't get away from you." I dramatically sighed, backing away and running into someone behind me.

"I could say the same about you." The familiar velvet voice of Lane entered my ears. I turned to greet him.

"Oh hey." I said coolly.

"I'm going to go see Brand" Matty said, running off, leaving me with the devil.

Lane leaned against the lockers, staring down at me. I smiled up at him, not helping how my heart fluttered. He didn't smile back looking down at me with his resting bitch face. "Been awhile."

"Yeah. A week." I replied.

"I had to wean you. You were getting too attached." He bored said. Not even a smirk gracing his face. I scrunch my face in a mixture of confusion and anger at his comment.

"Then why are you here?" I snapped at him, internally scolding myself for giving him a reaction. Lane fed off of reactions, and other human emotion. Sociopath.

"Hm. Missed you I guess." There was that smirk I loved. I scowled at him, still partially upset over is earlier comment. I looked into my locker, avoiding his eyes. He chuckled as he reach a hand around my shoulder, pulling me into his oh so familiar one arm embrace. His scent filled my nostrils. It was my turn to make my move. I decided to big hug him back. He didn't seem to notice as he pulled back from me, his wild eyes taking in my appearance. "You look comfortable. Still cute though, just in case you forgot."

Fuck him for putting butterflies in my stomach with his words. "Thanks. I am comfortable."

"Do want to do something with me tonight?" His bored tone was back.

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Anything. Just do something with me."

"Okay." He smiled, before turning and walking off to class.

******

Fourth period we had been called to an assembly to discuss what had happened during homecoming week. My class was released and we stuck in a group as we made our way to the auditorium. A few people split off to go find their friends. I had the class with my brothers so i had two people to sit with already. We entered the dark room, being handed a survey and a pencil by a teacher, and began to search for seats, when some football players called my brothers over. I rolled my eyes, not wanting to join that group and continued to walk up down the aisle, looking for a familiar face.

I felt a tug on my sweater and turned to find a smirking Lane, sitting at the very end of the row with his legs propped up on the red velvet plush seat in front of him and his hood pulled over his head and the pencil they had given out hanging between his lips in a very boyish manner. He moved his legs temporarily to allow me to get to the seat next to him, all without saying a word. He faced forward, staring up towards the stage, and arm wrapped on the back of my seat.

The assembly began, our principal speaking about the students who's lives had been lost, the fact that they had finally caught the culprit and safely when in an emergency. We were asked to fill out surveys regarding what we thought would make our school a safer place and our feelings. I peaked over at lane's survey.

Name: Lane
Grade: 12
What would make our school a safer place? If everyone wasn't an idiot.
How do you feel about what happened? Everyone is an idiot.

I rolled my eyes as he folded it and placed it in the basket of the counselor who walked by collections the surveys. We were dismissed and were expected to return to our classes. I walked with Lane out of the auditorium, his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"I'll pick you up at 8 tonight." He spoke, before turning and heading towards his class. I couldn't help but feel excited about it.