.15 - Snuck in

Listen to Roman Holiday by Halsey while you read this. Okay bye.

I stood in front of my closet, confused on what to wear that night. It didn't help that Lane's communication skills were basically non existent.

Me: what are we doing?

Lane: bring your swimsuit.

Well that helped. I slipped into my plain black bikini, and pulled a green form fitting tank top and a pair of Yoga pants. I left my hair down in natural waves and put a just in case hair tie on my wrist. I slipped on my flip flops and headed downstairs. I grabbed a granola bar from the pantry and perched on a barstool in the kitchen. Lane texted me that he was here, and I grabbed my crossbody bag.

"Hey." I said getting in the car.

Lane smirked at me, noticing my bikini top straps. "Hey."

"So where are we going?"

"WH pool."

"It's closed though?" He didn't reply to me, just stared ahead with a smirk. We pulled up the school and I hesitantly got out of the car, following Lane towards the entrance. He pulled out what looked to be the master key, and unlocked the door, pulling me in with him. He closed the door behind us, locking it from the inside.

He didn't utter a word to me as he pulled his shirt and jeans off to reveal his swim trunks underneath. I sat down on one of the bleachers, just watching to see what he was going to do. He jumped into the pool, allowing himself to sink to the bottom before finally coming up for air and smiling at me. "Are you going to come in?"

"We aren't suppose to be here, are we?"

"I have a key. Just get in." Lane rolled his eyes at my concern. I hesitantly stood up, slipping my tank top over my head and pulling my shorts down to reveal my bikini. I felt Lane's gaze on me as I set my stuff in a safe spot and walked up towards the edge of the pool. I used the ladder to get down into the water, not really feeling up to jumping.

The water was surprisingly not as cold as I had been expected and I waded around in the water to warm myself up a bit. I looked over at Lane, who smiled at me with a boyish grin.

"So what's your favorite color?" I asked.

"Black."

"Yeah I thought so. Favorite food?"

"Anything involving potatoes. Why are you asking me questions?"

"Why can't I get to know you better?"

"I'm just not use to being the one answering questions."

I leaned back in the pool, floating on my back as I stared towards the roof. "I just want to figure you out." I sighed. Lane stood close near where I floated, hovering but never touching. I swam towards him, looking him in the eye.

Lane reached out towards me, playing with a strand of  wet hair. He stared at me through hooded eyes, not saying a word. I slowly leaned towards him. He mimicked my movement, moving closer in towards me. Before our lips could touch, he pulled back from me. "No."

I narrowed my eyes at him, confusion dancing around in my head. "What?"

He avoided my eyes as he looked around the pool. "The timing isn't right."

"What is that suppose to mean?" Lane was a hard person to understand but I had never been more confused by his actions. I began to head towards the edge of the pool. "Is this a game?"

He smirked, an evil glint in his eye. "My entire life is a game, Brennan."

"Why can't you ever just answer a simple question?" I was suddenly feeling my emotions getting the best of me ."Is this a game? You and me? Because if it is, I don't want to play anymore."

"You're getting worked up." He sighed, setting an arm on each side of me, trapping me between the pools wall and him. "Just let it go."

I forced myself to put on my best poker face and nodded. He released me and I immediately climbed out of the pool and pulled my shirt and shorts on. "I'm going to let it go."

"Brennan." He rolled his eyes at me, following me out of the pool.

"I can't put up with this anymore. At first I just wanted to know what you were up to, but now I can't stand it. You're just a sadist." I grabbed my bag and marched towards the door. He didn't bother to chase me out.