Chapter 24

Dear Roger Thomas Porter,

I'm terribly sorry for all the pain I've caused you with my presence at Reaper HQ. It was never my intention. Nothing that happened really was. You get thrown into the role of a Reaper, and sometimes things go too fast for you to register them. I haven't been there that long, but I have seen the full extent of the job, and I don't agree with it. Maybe you do. It would make sense. We're complete opposites.

It was early. I thought it was around three in the morning, but I had no idea how to be sure. It had taken a while to sneak out of Reaper HQ. That wasn't exactly an easy thing to do, but since my scythe was with me, I pretended to be leaving with another Reaper who worked at the Dispatch.

I stood in front of Phantomhive Manor, smirking as I saw a light from a window. Or, I thought it was. At the very least, it was yellow and bright.

I've made a lot of mistakes in my life. I grew up in this environment where cruel and cold were okay. You had to do everything you could to keep your power. I killed dozens of people, and I realize now it wasn't worth it. It wasn't right. Still, at the time, that was all I knew. It worked well for a while, but things changed.

I ran up to the building, realizing the light came from the top floor. Sighing, I hopped up and discovered the window was open. Then, I found out no one was inside. I leaned against the wall and screwed my lips to the side, crossing my arms. Where would they have gone?

The door opened slightly and I jumped down, hiding behind the desk. If one of the servants found me, then they'd know I wasn't dead. I peeked over the edge and stood up, smiling, "Oh, there you two are. I was wondering why the lamp was still burning." The two figures, and I say that because everything was a blur, walked in slowly. Water dripped off them onto the carpet. I knew the taller one was Sebastian and the shorter one was Ciel.

Sebastian told me, his voice icy, "This isn't a very good time, Willow."

I stepped around the desk, walking towards them as I frowned, "I know. That's partly why I'm here. I know what happened." Of course, I saw the two, but it didn't feel like they were there. They didn't have souls. It was a horrible reminder of the unfortunate events that just took place.

"Then, you realize it has been a long day, and whatever it is can wait," he told me. I could tell he was furious.

"It can't," I said.

Ciel spoke up, flicking a wet strand of hair out of his eyes, "What are you doing here? And you're a Reaper, aren't you? Where are your glasses? You're basically blind without them."

I laughed a little, "Yes, I can't really see right now, my lord. Anyways, my apologies for coming at such a late hour. I wouldn't be here if I knew you would be here tomorrow. Unfortunately, that is not guaranteed with the sudden turn of events. I'm looking for a job." I smiled at him. Even though I couldn't see, I knew his emotionless façade hadn't changed.