Chapter 9

I stood outside Phantomhive Manor. I thought it had been destroyed in the fire, but it seemed that I had been wrong. It looked like the fire hadn't even touched it. It was a miracle.

I knew Sebastian's bedroom was at the end of the servants' quarters, but I had never been inside. He had called it "forbidden." I hadn't ever really understood that, but Mey-Rin said it was because he kept cats in because since Ciel didn't allow them. It would explain how cats would randomly be walking around the Manor, but still, there had to be a reason as to why we weren't allowed in there.

Of course, me being me, I didn't like to use the front door to get inside. That was no fun. So, I ran over to his bedroom window and opened it. The room was completely dark, so I couldn't see anything. I knew he wasn't there yet since I was a little early. I climbed in silently and closed the window once again.

Right as the clock chimed two times, the door opened. I pressed myself against the wall, hiding in the shadows, immediately. A force of habit, really. Light flooded the room and I heard someone walking in. "The front door was unlocked, you know," Sebastian told me. He set the candlestick holder on his bedside table.

I was looking around the room as I said, "Oh, that's no fun. I've never been one to use front doors on types of things like this. Sneaking in somewhere I'm not supposed to be, I mean." I paused for a second, "Even though you never let us in, there isn't anything to hide here." All there was in the room was a bed, a dresser, wardrobe, and nightstand. No decorations or personal belongings.

"The servants would break something if I let them in. It'd just be more work," he explained.

"Isn't much to break," I noticed.

"There are four walls. That's good enough," he sighed. I laughed, knowing it was true. They were quite clumsy.

I felt the atmosphere suddenly changed; dark and heavy. I looked at Sebastian, but his face was emotionless. I couldn't read him. He said, "I thought you were dead. I watched that building collapse on top of you. Willow, you were crushed. The others had a funeral for you. The grave is next to your parents'."

"But there wasn't a body, was there?" I asked.

"They said they couldn't find it. They assumed you had been burned to ash, like most people," Sebastian told me.

"You already know what I am. I don't see why you would think I was dead," I frowned, trying not to feel as horrible as I did.

"I had known there was something wrong with your soul. That's why I always said you were unique. I had always considered the possibility, but when I asked Grell if he knew you, he told me he didn't. You couldn't be found. That was the day right after your death. Or, what I thought was your death."

"I was still sleeping, recovering, at that time. It would have been futile," I told him. I decided to ignore how he knew about Reapers for the time being. I would get into that later.

He asked, "When did you wake?"

I answered, "Two days after being crushed."