Chapter 23

I just kept staring at the words on my typewriter. I was uncomfortably sitting in my room, having been there all day. Ever since I returned from the investigation. Since William told me it'd be better if I wasn't a Grim Reaper.

I had been pouring over the books I checked out from the library the day before, and I came across something. I had known about it before... but I hadn't really thought of it as an option. That totally flew out the window after what Will said. I hadn't completely decided on it, yet. It was a huge decision, and if I chose wrong, my life could be ruined.

I was stilling scanning over the words when my door bursted open. I immediately grabbed my scythe and pointed it at the intruder. Then, my eyebrows knitted together, "Grell? How did you know which room I'm in?"

"Oh, never mind that! I need to tell you something," Grell cringed.

I sighed, lowering my weapon, "I'm not in the mood for bad news."

He told me, "You need to see this, Willow." When I saw how serious he was, I nodded silently and followed him out, scythe still in hand. I didn't entirely trust him, to be honest. There was no better time to defeat your enemy than when they're at their lowest.

He took me to where the portals to the Human Realm were. I was confused as to why I needed to be there. We stepped in front of the portal, and a picture began to appear. I hadn't requested a location, so it must have been the red-head next to me. When it stopped blurring, I saw some type of body of water. I didn't know where it was. There was a boat right in the middle of it. It was just a little row boat, but it was well-made. I saw a boy crawling into it, and a dark figure helping him. "Is that who I think it is?" I wondered, cocking my head to the side and squinting my eyes. I pushed my glasses up my nose.

When I looked over, Grell was staring into the portal with a frown on his face. "Alois Trancy's soul was never collected, Willow," he revealed.

I shrieked, "What! His soul was gone when I came back! I saw the body! I know it!"

He explained, "I got... distracted by the demon." I knew that meant he began obsessing over him. "I allowed him to keep the soul. I thought it would be interesting, but then something happened. I hadn't anticipated it. He was using Alois's soul to gain Ciel's.

"Ciel Phantomhive was scheduled to die tonight."

I trailed off, glancing back at the portal, "But Ciel is..."

He continued, "Making a contract with a third demon, Alois made sure that the demon and Sebastian never acquired Ciel's soul. Because of an order made by Ciel before, Sebastian is to remain his butler until he devours his soul. Sebastian will be Ciel's butler forever."

"No, that can't be. That would mean Ciel doesn't have a soul," I stated, looking at him. I gasped and my eyes widened. Grell gave me a look that told me I was right. My head snapped back to the soaking boy in the boat. "He... He can't be. Not him. Of all people, he would never allow that to happen."

"He didn't have a say in the matter. I'm sorry," he apologized. I kept shaking my head. Earl Ciel Phantomhive, the boy I knew to be strong and fearless, who I thought of and cared for like a younger brother, was a demon? And my love was stuck serving him for eternity? Plus, I couldn't forget it was partly my fault since I was supposed to have been there to help collect Alois's soul.

"No!" I shouted, trying to run through the portal.

Grell caught me by the waist and said, "You're not allowed out of here!" I swiped at him with my scythe, but he blocked it with his own. The portal suddenly closed, and I bolted over to the desk.

I screamed at the lady, "Open it! Let me out!"

She was shaking she was so scared of me, "I-I can't! I'm supposed to close it whenever you try to make a run for it!"

"I need to get through! I have to see them!" I yelled.

"I'm not allowed! I'm sorry, but I can't, Ms. Porter! I might lose my job!" she squeaked. Couldn't she see how desperate I was? I whipped around, my back facing her. All the other Reapers stared at me.

"What? You think this is amusing or something? Let me tell you now, it's not. I'm sick and tired of all you damn Reapers! You have all these rules and policies that you have to follow. Honestly, who can do that? Who can be so emotionless and cold? Because I can't. Not anymore," I spat. They all continued to watch me. I shook my head and laughed bitterly, "I thought I was so much like you. I thought I had found my calling, but I was wrong. The Widow could do this, but she's gone, and Willow Porter can't. You bastards are all too consumed by your jobs to notice the world around you. Piss off."

I stormed out of there, leaving everyone shocked. I ran to my apartment, and finally made a decision.