Chapter 8

I hoped that the soul would count, but I thought it probably wouldn't. Grell wasn't that optimistic, either. In the end, I hadn't collected the soul. I hadn't judged it and sent it to Hell. That was it. How could they pass me?

Finally, after hearing them discuss the situation almost two hours, the door opened to Patrick Coates's office. He came out and told us, "Please, come in." Grell and I nodded, following the Main Branch Executive.

In his office were the three instructors I had for the exams, Marshall Hobbs, and... Will? I wondered what part he had. Given that I didn't know too much about him, I was pretty sure that wasn't his field to deal with. I didn't really have too much time to fret on it.

Grell and I stood in front of his deck, facing all the others. Patrick sat down. "You both understand why you were summoned here?" he asked.

"Yes, sir. The information given to us was wrong, making us unable to collect the victim's soul," I stated.

Will interjected, "The information was not wrong. Something interfered with it."

I said, "Either way, I ask you to not confiscate Grell's death scythe."

Grell gasped, "What?"

Patrick demanded, "Explain yourself."

"He helped me well in my training and in my final exam. He did nothing wrong. It was only I who did not meet the requirements, so in turn, he should not take part in this responsibility," I told him. Patrick raised an eyebrow at me before looking at Grell.

"Grell, before we make our decision, we would like to hear what you think and how she has handled herself throughout the process," he said.

"Really, she isn't bad at all. She knows her stuff, so I don't see why you wouldn't allow her in. She stayed calm and focused," Grell informed him. The six of them looked at each other and nodded before looking back at me. Well, all except Will...

Patrick said, "While the decision was not unanimous, majority ruled out. Ms. Willow Rachel Porter, even though you did not technically complete the Final Exam and having a woman in the Division would be breaking a rule, we are making an exception. You are now a full-fledged Reaper and part of the Dispatch Management Division. Also, Grell, you may keep your death scythe. Congratulations to you both."

"Yes! I knew we would do it," Grell smirked. That was such a lie, but I didn't say anything.

My eyes widened, "Really?" They were going to let me in? They would break a rule just for me, when I didn't even fulfill the requirements?

Will stepped forward and told me, "We have met before, so there is no need for introductions. I am the supervisor of the Dispatch Management Division, so you will now be answering to me. Be in the office building by six in the morning. That is when your shift will start. For now, you both may head back to your rooms."

I nodded quickly and left the room before they could doubt their decision. Grell followed and shut the door behind us. Then, he hugged me tightly. "Congrats! You're part of the Division!" he exclaimed.

I laughed, "I can't believe it! Thank you so much for what you've done for me, Grell. There was no way I could have done it by myself."

He reminded me, "I told you that you were lucky to have me teach you!"

"Yes, you did. I suppose you were right," I agreed.

He smiled before yawning, "Well, I guess I better head back to my room. It's been a long day. You should, too." He walked towards the exit.

I put my hands in my pockets and was about to follow him when I felt something in my right one. Then, I remembered that Sebastian had slipped something in there. I had completely forgotten with all my worrying! How could I have done that?

I wrapped my fingers around the object and pulled it out. I smiled a little at it. A folded piece of paper was what it was. My name was on the front, written in beautiful cursive. I opened it.

Dear Willow,

We need to talk. Meet me in my room at Phantomhive Manor at two in the morning. I'll be waiting.

-Sebastian

"I guess I'm not going to sleep, yet," I grinned, walking off in the opposite direction of my room. "Don't want to be late!"