Chapter 21

Honestly, I'm not too sure what to say about Will's and I's relationship after that confrontation. He didn't recognize me as his daughter. In fact, he didn't recognize me at all! I was just a random coworker to him, which only proved my point. I had truly been abandoned.

I didn't know if Ronald and Grell knew the truth, but I certainly wasn't going to tell them. Why would I? It wouldn't mean anything to Will. He probably wanted it to continue as a secret only the two of us knew about. It would be like stabbing him in the heart if anyone found out. Wasn't I just a lucky girl?

In turn, that meant he didn't want to speak to me. I was only paired with Ronald for that time. I didn't even see Will. He was strategically managing his time so that we would miss each other. If I had tried hard enough I could have spoiled it for him, but there was no point to. He'd just have ignored me. I didn't exist anymore to him.

He apparently didn't care about me, either. He had partnered me with Grell for the first time after a few days. Since Grell didn't want to work overtime, he agreed to tolerate me for the day. I really didn't have a problem with Grell. It was the other way around. He still hated me for being with Sebastian.

I hadn't seen Sebastian since he had gotten into Reaper HQ. I realized Will was never going to lift my punishment, and that I was going to have to find my own ways of seeing Sebastian. Ronald would never allow me to see my love, but Grell was a different story.

Grell read off the ledger, "Earl Alois Trancy, whose real name is Jim Macken, is to die at 8:08 p.m. of murder brought upon by a demon. His skull will be crushed. Even though he is supposed to die, it is not effecting the ledgers, so we must investigate. We're probably going to have to fight for the soul. I assume you've fought a demon before?"

I answered, "No, I've never had the need to."

He sighed, "Then, you better stay out of my way and carry your own weight. I don't want to have to save you."

I wasn't really listening to him. All I could think about was how close we were to Phantomhive Manor. It was only a few miles. Will would have never known I had left because of the close proximity unless Grell told him. If I chose my words carefully, I could convince him into letting me sneak away.

I said, "You must be comfortable in fighting demons. I'm sure you could handle it yourself."

Grell raised an eyebrow, "What are you getting at?"

"Well, Phantomhive Manor isn't that far..." I trailed off.

"No! Will said if I let you out of my sight, I would be demoted again!" he denied.

"He'll only know if you tell him," I pointed out.

"And why shouldn't I? You're stealing my Bassy!" he frowned, crossing his arms childishly. That's a really terrible nickname, I thought, but didn't say anything of it. I didn't want to ruin my chances.

I remembered, "Ronald told me you had a boyfriend when you died."