Opening My Eyes

Walking down the stairs, I looked at the table; my parents are always sitting there eating. They told me I'm not allowed to sit there though. The last time I tried, they took away all my toys and locked me in my room. They always do that though, I'm not allowed to go down stairs when they have people over. Though Mommy and Daddy love me lots, I just know it. I do. They never said it but they have to, because I'm their daughter.

     Walking down the halls of this middle school, it's so stupid. So pointless to do these things. Pretending that I'm their friends, when I know that they talk about me behind my back. Is it so great to be rich?

     "Come one Etsuko, you know your parents love you. Have you ever heard of parents hating their own children." Hitomi said walking beside me, she is so naive.

     "Of course parents can hate their own children, But you'd only know if they wished for you to be invisible." I walked ahead of the shocked people I called friends, It was friday and I hadn't felt like seeing them anymore.

     looking at the commoners, laughing all cheerfully, I had almost smiled. That happiness slowly left as I remembered the words of my parents. 'Aspen, don't smile like that in public, it will ruin our reputation.' The voice, so cold, was supposed to belong to a mother. My thoughts were stopped as a boy approached me. A smile lit up his face, though what captured my attention was his blue eyes. They were so different from my blood red eyes, or as my parents liked to call them, bloody demons.

     "Hi! I'm Ash, what's your name?"

     "Hello, Aspen Kudo." I bowed politely.

     Ash and I were at a park, watching his neighbor's kids. My heart was thumping out of my chest, I hadn't known this feeling. It was strange, but I kind of liked it. Was this what they called love? Had I really come to love someone? Ash leaned down to my ear, his breath hit my neck, and something happened. I felt hot, and my face felt like it was on fire.

     "Aspen, I like you. Be my girlfriend?" He whispered to me, I was too caught up in the moment. Turning my face I kissed his lips and smile. For once I smiled for real.

     "Yes." I whispered against his lips, and I loved how his face turned red, he was so perfect.

     "Aspen will you marry me?" Ash was on his knees. We were at the mall, in front of a bunch of people. Some of them were squealing, and others were taking videos and pictures. I was too overjoyed. The man I love was proposing to me, in front of everyone. I hadn't cared about a thing, I just nodded. Tears ran down my face.

     "Ash, I love you so much. Of course I'll marry you." he slid the ring on my finger and hugged me.

     "I promise. I'll take you, Aspen, away from everything. From all the pain, I'll take care of you. I love you so much." he pulled from the hug and kissed me. We put all of our emotions into it.

      "Hello?" I heard his sweet voice call, I had obviously woken him up, please don't hate me.

      "Ash, are you busy right now?" My voice shook as I tried to stop from crying. It wasn't fair.

      "Aspen? Is that you? What happened?" I loved his voice but surely he would hate me. One last time...please god let me see him one last time.

       "Ash please don't hate me." I begged into the phone. Please I'm so sorry.

      "Babe, what happened?"

      "They took it too far this time, I'm so sorry Ash."

       "Who took it too far? Talk to me Aspen, for god's sake what is going on?"

       "I need you."

       "Okay, I'll come to your house then."

      "NO! I mean... no, I'm not home."

       "Then where are you?" I could hear him rustling for clothes, I love you so much.

       "I don't know..."

       "What do you mean you don't know."

       "I MEAN I DON'T KNOW...Damn it Ash...Help me, Please. I think, I think I'm close to your house. I'm at a park."

       "Okay, Aspen listen to me, stay wear you are, I'll be there in a little bit. I love you."

       "I love you so much...Just please...hurry." I hung up the phone falling to my knees. Damn it, Ash please hurry, I don't know how much longer I can last. I tried dragging myself under a shelter but I had lost the strength.

       "Clear...Up to 50...clear...up to 80...clear...I'm calling it, Time of death 12:53 October 20th."

       I felt a light hit my eyes. My body hurt, my wrist hurt, and I could hear a monitor displaying a heartbeat. I tried to move but it was so hard. My hands were heavy, like lead. It took me a while but I could finally move my finger. Just a bit.

     "Doctor! Doctor!" A voice called. Wait, I know that voice. Hikaru?

      "What's wrong?" A woman asked. Why can't I open my eyes? Why am I alive?

      "She moved....Her finger...it moved." Hikaru exclaimed. As he said that, I tried to open my eyes again, the monitor when faster.

      "She waking up. Nurse!" The woman's voice called out again.

      "Wah! Wait, Let me in!" I heard Hikaru's voice followed by a banging. This is too hard, I tried once more to peel my eyes open, and it worked. A light was shining into my eyes, and my vision was blurry. What was going on? What happened? Why? I thought I killed myself. I thought my wish had finally come true.