It's Complicated: 24

Pursing my lips, I make my decision and grab the shoes. Briefly exiting my room, I stop in front of Jason's and set them neatly in front of his door. He can keep them. I only wore them once so he could probably return them to get a refund.

Turning around to finish up in my room, someone grabs my arm and yanks me to a halt. I curse myself silently at the fact that I let someone sneak up on me.

"Are you okay?" I don't turn around to face my brother. Instead, I try to pull away from him, but he isn't having it. "I heard crying." His hand tightens around my forearm, enough to bruise, but I know it's not on purpose.

"I hate you." Tears slip down my cheeks, but he can't see them as I'm still facing the wrong direction for him to see my face. And here I told myself I was done crying. Guess I'm not quite finished yet.

"What happened?!" He demands, trying to turn me to face him, but I keep my feet firmly planted so he doesn't see my face. "You're freezing cold!"

"I'm fine. Can you let me go now?" I imagine he shook his head since I don't hear his reply.

I growl softly. I'm not in the mood for his games.

Spinning around, while at the same time dropping to a crouch, I stick one leg out to sweep him off his feet. In his surprise, he releases his grip on me to catch himself as he falls. At least all of my training has paid off for this. I don't see myself needing any of it now since I'm leaving, but at least it was useful for something.

I stand up just as quickly as I executed the move to retreat back into my room, but not before Barron gets a glimpse of my tear-stained face.

"Tala! Wait!" I slam and lock my door behind me. Leaning against the wood, I take a deep breath and don't even jump when he starts banging on the door. "Open the door!"

I don't reply as I stuff a few more things into my bag before zipping up the backpack. Barron is still at the door, but banging on it isn't going to make me open it any time ever.

"Open the door before I break it down." He threatens and I turn my bleary gaze towards the piece of wood separating me from him.

He won't do it. I know him better than that and he won't.

Ignoring any more of his threats, I quietly open my window and toss my bag out first onto the roof.

"I'm going to get Bo!" He shouts and I send a dry smile his way even though he can't see me. I called his bluff.

"Go ahead!" I whisper, knowing he can hear me. I turn to follow my bag outside, but one last thing catches my eyes. I pick up the picture of my family that was sitting on my desk. Once I forgave everyone, I bought a new picture frame to replace the first one I broke. Now, looking at the past I can never have again, anger gets the best of me and I throw it at the door. It promptly shatters and the wood frame cracks from the force.

Not wasting anymore time, I hop out onto the roof and grab my bag. With one jump, I catapult myself into the air and land lightly on my feet. When my two feet are firmly planted on the ground, I hurry to the front of the house to where the cab is just pulling up. I yank open the door and throw myself and my bag inside.

"Where to ma'am?" The driver asks, turning around in his seat to look at me.

"Airport." I hear the front door bang open and I look out the window. Even from here, I can see Bo's eyes are darker than usual and his movements are jerky, frantic even. He spots the cab and my wide eyes and starts towards me at a faster pace than before. "Drive." I order and the man presses his foot on the gas. I'm thrown against the seat before I brace myself, but it doesn't hurt.