thirty six.

//

"Carl, my feet really hurt. Can we please stop?" I groaned.

"Not yet y/n, we need to go further." He hushed me.

"We've been walking for hours." I pulled at his hand.

"It's only been two hours please babe we have to keep moving." He took my bag off my back and threw it on his shoulder.

"That should make it a little better." He kissed my cheek.

//

We walked up to what looked like a village. Four homes and a small outhouse.

"These were probably for hunting." Carl spoke up, "means we are close to water as well."

He searched the houses and waved me in. He started a small fire within the fireplace and secured the doors shut. He laid down next to me and my eye lids flickered shut.

The last thing I heard was, "welcome home baby."

My eyes fluttered open to a birds sweet song.

"Are you awake beautiful?" You heard his deep soothing voice.

I smiled, "how late did I sleep?"

He chuckled, "almost through your birthday!"

He pulled a small card from behind his back.

"Amber and Audrey made it for you." He handed it, "with a little help from me."

It was a scribbled birthday cake with 23 on top of it. It had in a small child's hand writing "happy birthday mommy!" I smiled and opened it up. The card had I love you written all over the card with hearts.

"Where are they?" My voice crackled.

"Outside with the other kids playing." Carl smiled and helped me out of bed.

He pulled me in his arms and swung back and forth.

"I have to go out with the guys for a little. I'll be back soon, okay?" I nodded and pecked his lips.

He left and I was alone, I sat back on the bed. I looked out the window to see my beautiful daughters playing in a field of flowers. I quickly looked down to my hand and twisted my wedding ring on my finger.

I smiled at the memories from our wedding day and the day the twins entered the world.

Life is really good.