A Broken Family is Still a Family

Stiles got home and tossed his keys onto the counter. He walked in the house and was about to head upstairs when he heard something coming from his father's room.

He went and stood by the door to listen. It took him only a few seconds to realize that he was hearing someone sniffle. Was his dad crying?

He knocked on the door and pushed it open. "Hey, you okay?"

His dad was sitting on the edge of his bed, still in uniform. He was holding a box. A tiny black box.

"Huh? Yeah.." He wiped his eyes with the palm of his hand.

"Dad.. What's wrong?" Stiles went and sat next to him. He looked at the ring box in his father's hand. "Did she.. Say no?"

"No, she didn't say anything. Because I didn't ask."

"What? Why not?"

"Because before I even had the chance.." He took in a breathe, "she told me that she wanted to see other people. She was tired of waiting around for whenever I had time off of work."

Stiles didn't know what to say. He hugged his dad and rested his head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry."

They were quiet for awhile until Stiles's dad got up and opened a dresser drawer. He put the box in and closed it.

"I'll.. Uh, take the ring back and we can put the money into an account for your jeep. How does that sound?"

"Or we could save the money for it so that when you do find someone else, you can spend it on what it was originally for." As much as it pained Stiles to mention his father moving on from his mom, he wanted his father to be happy and to not give up hope on finding someone.

He shook his head, "no. You were right before. No one can replace Claudia."

"She doesn't have to replace mom.. Or he.." He added. "You can love more than one person."

"Alright." His dad gave him a weak smile, "go to bed. You have school tomorrow."

"You're going to be okay?"

"Yeah. I'll be fine."

Stiles went over and gave him a hug. "You still have me."

"Ugh, don't I know it? You're probably never leaving either."

They laughed and Stiles felt that Lydia's mom breaking up with his dad was a good thing. Sure, his dad was hurting now but he felt that they were closer now.

A/N
Short but I thought it was cute <3
Comment and vote lovelies!
Should I come up with someone for the sheriff? And who do you ship with him? (Guy or girl)