Chapter 1 | New School

Start from the beginning

"Who's..Delirious?"

"Oh! It's j-just a nickname, for you!" My mother answers.

"Oh, that's a cool nickname, how'd I get something like that?"

"Your laugh..?" My sister answered, almost questioning herself.

I nodded and smiled. I liked it.
Another emotion: like.
They both were silent. I finished my breakfast and got up.

"Do I take a bus to this school?" I asked before walking out the door.

My mother looks up, "If you want to, sure,"

I nod and open the door. I suppose I'll get the answers to my two questions tomorrow.

I walk down the sidewalk and look for the sign. I saw a group of kids and a big yellow bus.

Must be it.

I join the group and got stares. I thought they would good stares and smiled under the mask. I sat in the back and everyone took their seats. I was alone, but I didn't mind. It gave me silence to observe things. My mom said I had to learn these emotions on my own, so I can figure this out. How hard could it be? Observing people might be easier than feeling it myself. Or maybe the other way around. Maybe I'll understand it better by feeling it and seeing people's expressions towards the emotions. I realize a person sat down next to me. Another emotion. Realization. He was short and gave me a grin,

"Hi! You must be new to this town. My names Lui, what about you?" He squeaked in a little kids voice.

A little kid? Going to high school?

He saw my expressions and laughed.

"Nah, I'm just kidding man. It's just a talent I have. But seriously what's with the mask?"

Seriously.. Another emotion. Seriousness.

"The name's Jonathan, or Delirious. And I don't know. My mom says I have to wear it. I don't know what I look like," I answer. He raised an eyebrow. He looks confused.

"Wow, strict. You seriously don't know what you look like? That's sad, man. I feel bad for you,"

"You feel..bad? What do you mean?"

His eyes widened. He looked at me as if I was an alien.

"Uh, what do you mean, what do I mean? Are you from a different country or somethin'?" He laughed.
A joke..

"No, I'm an anomaly. Whatever that is.. My
Mom says I don't know emotions like others and I have to learn them on my own.." I explain.

"Oh..I'll have to research on that, maybe I can help. But for starters, feeling bad for someone means you feel sympathy or in other words making you feel good. Wait.. Did that make sense? Ugh. This is more difficult than I thought."

I laughed. I guess I understood. Two new emotions popped in my brain and added to my memory of emotion. Sympathy and good. And maybe even bad.

"Yeah, I'd.. Like the help. Or what's that other emotion?" I ask.

"Appreciate?"

I nod and smile.

"Yeah! Appreciate!"

Appreciate.

He laughed at my..

Excitement.

Man, this was easier than I thought!

We made it to the school and my new friend, Lui, showed me around. This school was quite big and..

Overwhelming.

The lockers were different colors for different sections. And the classrooms were at a normal size, but still big for my taste.

--

After a few classes, it was lunch time. I was..

Hungry, starving.

I was learning emotions quick. It seemed easier to feel them on my own. Well, with some emotions. I also met some of Lui's friends. One was tall and goofy, and seemed very close to Lui. His name was David. Then there was Craig, he wore glasses and had a funny accent along with David. Tyler wore glasses and was very mean, but in a funny way. He liked to pick on people, especially Craig. Then finally there was Marcel. He was dark skinned and always kept up bright spirits. These guys taught me so many emotions. I felt happy to be with them. I was picking these up quick, but they told me there are so many feelings and emotions that they could begin to name off.

I lifted my mask to my lips and talked about my condition. They all seemed..

Interested.

They talked about different ones that confused me. I just shrugged it off and listened to them get off track and move on to a different subject.

"Hey, Delirious, you wanna come over my house on the weekend?" Tyler asked, "the whole crew's comin',"

I thought about it. Today was Monday, so it gave me more time to think about things and ask more questions.

"Sure," I simply said and they all smiled.

"Great! You're gonna love it, we do so many cool things-"

I was confused by that word. 'Love'.

"Wait, what's that? I'm gonna what?" I put down my fork.

"Oh, that's a toughie. I can't explain that one, all up to you, Tyler," Lui giggled.

I raised an eyebrow, that they couldn't see.

"Wow, leave me with the hard ones. Well, I don't think we can explain this one. You're gonna have to learn that one on your own.. Sorry, bro." Tyler shrugged.

Hmm.. I wonder what that feels like..

It was silent until the bell rang for the last three classes of the day. I got up and followed Lui to the next class.

--

I get off the bus and make it home.

"Hello, mother!" I yell.

"Hey! How was your first day? What did you learn?" She sat down and smiled.

I sat down next to her and felt excited again to tell her my findings, "A lot! I am so happy! I like this school! I made some cool friends, speaking of which I'm going to their house over the weekend."

"That sounds fun! Glad you've learned so much, makes things easier. Now about the weekend, remember never to show your face or look in the mirror with your mask off, got it?" She informed again.

I rolled my eyes, even though she couldn't see it, "Okay.." I sighed.

I remembered the questions from earlier, but it was too late. She ran off somewhere in the tol that I've not been in, in this house.

I just shrug and head up to my room. I lie down on my bed and think of this day. Then I think back to that word, 'Love'. That must feel awful. My friends said that they couldn't explain it so maybe that's the reason. Or maybe it's wonderful? Hmm..

I slowly start to close my eyes.

--

"Did you have fun, Jonathan?"

"Yeah! I rode the dragon ride! It was fun!"

"Good.. It's too bad I won't see you after this.."

"What?"

"Oh, nothing.. Let's continue on to the other place I was talking about okay?"

"Okie!"

---

Yay new book! I know I've been coming out with a lot. But I like fanfictions and stuff more than my original books! XD! I had a story on my second thing like this but used it in a different way. So, hope you like it!

-Danny