Chapter Twenty-one

Start from the beginning

            “Thank God.” The woman heaved a sigh. “We need to get her in the car and get out of here before rescue shows up.”

            “You want me to give her the drugs first?”

            Another hand, this one more delicate, shook her shoulder.  Fallon wanted to pull away from the touch, but she couldn’t muster the strength.

            “I think we’ll be okay to wait until we get her back to the house first,” the woman said.

            Strong arms lifted her from the ground. Fallon bounced against the man’s broad chest as he carried her. Moments later he stopped walking, and a groan escaped her when he lowered her away from him.

            “You better get me the drugs,” the woman decided. “I can’t have her coming around enough to warn them.”

            Fallon tried to pull away from the woman she sensed was looming over her, but the effort was futile. Liquid fire was already burning through her veins. It didn’t do any good to fight the soothing pull of the medication. She could feel herself floating away. Using the last bit of strength she had, she concentrated on calling Sinister and Dexter to her.

            Please let them hear me, Fallon thought and then she was gone again.

Lucian and Griffin:

            Sinister! Dexter!

            They were already in the hospital parking lot when they heard it. The sound was so faint they had to look to one another for confirmation they’d heard it. Both swallowed the dread inching up their throats.

            As soon as they made it into the emergency room, all four men barreled toward the front desk. The woman working on the other side regarded them wide eyes.

            “I’m Lucian Locke. I want to see my wife Fallon Locke.”

            The woman tapped the keys on her computer, and the sound hammered at Lucian’s temples.

            “I’m sorry, sir, but there’s no record of a Fallon Locke being brought in.”

            “What does that mean?” Lucian asked. “Where is she?”

            “I’m sorry, sir, but I can’t answer that,” the nurse said.

            “What the hell do you mean you can’t answer that?” Lucian demanded.

The lights in the emergency room flickered as did the television hanging in the waiting room.

            A nervous laugh escaped the nurse. “That freak storm from earlier must be causing some problems with the electricity.”

            “I don’t give a shit,” Lucian snapped. “I want to see my wife.”

            “I’m sorry, sir, but I can’t help you. Your wife isn’t here,” the nurse repeated.

            The overweight security guard looked up from where he sat at the desk positioned by the entrance, but he didn’t make a move to offer any aid to the nurse.

             “What about my fiancée?” Seth interjected. “Her name is Angelica Rhodes. I got a call she was here.”

            Once again, the woman tapped the keys of her computer. “Yes, she’s here. Come to the door and I’ll buzz you back to see her.”