Back Attack

Bernard raised his sword as one of the spiders charged him back. He blocked it and held the sword steady, making that first spider his target. He tried to hit the spider's abdomen, but it jumped away quickly. He grunted and moved back. The other spiders looked ready to take him down. He held his sword like a shield and waited for one to make a move. The lead spider moved in to attack, but an arrow hit its face. It jumped back again, confused and in pain. Bernard took the opportunity to put it out of its misery. More arrows distracted the other spiders. Bernard looked back to see Alicia charging in with her bow ready.

"Look out!" She said.

He brought his sword up and deflected the spider's fangs. He pushed it off and swiped its face. Alicia released another arrow at one of the other spiders to keep it occupied. Bernard finished off the one and moved to the other that wasn't distracted. When he was done with that one, he saw the last one die to an arrow to the abdomen. He looked at Alicia approvingly.

"I saw Forester run off," she said. "He might need our help."

She grabbed his hand and pulled him in a sprint.

~~~

Forester landed at the bottom of the stairs. He ran for the girl barely defending herself. He reached her just as a zombie was about to attack her from behind. His sword cut through the arm reaching for her. He grabbed the zombie's collar and pulled it away. It tried to grab him with a single arm. He merely knocked it away and ended the zombie. Marie screamed. He stabbed the zombie that had grabbed her in the head, and she wrenched free. She smacked the last zombie in the ankles with her stick. It was enough to knock it down, and Forester finished it off.

"What are you doing here?" He shouted over the chaos. He threw down a wooden sword that she picked up in place of her stick. "You're going to get yourself killed!"

"I'm fine!" She shouted defiantly.

She hit a zombie in the knee with the sword, hardly doing anything to deter the monster. Forester sighed and took out his bow. He shot the zombie easily in the head. He fired at more zombies and did his best to keep them away, but their numbers were increasing. He heard footsteps behind him and thought they belonged to zombies. He turned around with his bow and barely stopped himself from shooting Bernard in the face.

"Whoa, boy! Calm down! It's just us."

"They're coming in from somewhere," Forester said. "We need to find it and patch it up before we're overrun."

Bernard saw Marie fighting off another zombie.

"Child, what are you doing?"

"I'm helping!"

She managed to knock the zombie down. She stabbed it in the face. It didn't move.

"You were supposed to leave with the other children!"

"I'm not running away anymore! So don't try to make me!"

Bernard sighed.

"Fine. You can stay. But you're staying right next to me, got it?"

She nodded quickly and ran to his side.

"I saw where they zombies were coming from," she added. "I saw a hole in the wall."

"A hole?" Alicia asked. "How big?"

"Big."

"Show us," Bernard said.

She led them to the frenzy of zombies. There was a large hole in the east wall. Part of the ground was gone. A creeper had blown it open.

"I was right," Forester said. "The north wall was a distraction."