Unexpected Surprises

"This is what we built around Steve's house," Sam explained to the golem. "It's made of cobble so endermen can't break any of the blocks. The iron doors will hold back hordes of mobs for a while. We can walk along the top and fire arrows with some cover to hide behind. I put saplings on the outside to thin out the mobs. Spiders have to climb over, and the endermen will have to teleport through. The rest get split up when they try to get through. Seems pretty cool, don't you think?"

The golem nodded. It was a good plan. It was amazed at how much work they had done for the past two days.

"It's not much, but it's all we have," Steve said.

He pushed open the iron doors. The golem was barely able to fit inside.

"Let's see if we can get your arm fixed," Sam said.

He locked the iron doors behind them. They went through the front double doors.

"Notch!" Steve swore.

The kitchen was ransacked. The chest was wide open, and all of its contents were scattered on the floor. Pieces of food and crumbs decorated his carpet. All of his blocks were out of every type of order. His sticks and tools lay half-broken in piles. In the corner, the pig, full of food, was snoozing on its side. Steve was raging mad. He could tell the pig's belly was full.

"What? She ate everything? I'm gonna murder her!"

He pulled out his bow.

"No!"

Sam grabbed his bow and pulled it down.

"You don't have to kill her! You have to teach her. She just needs to know it's bad so she doesn't do stuff like this again."

"Are you serious, bro?"

He looked at the pig. She yawned and stood up.

"Well, then, here's your first lesson," he said.

He picked up and threw the pig at their escape entrance.

"Don't. Eat. My. Stuff!"

It hit the wall, hurting it only a little, and it fell down into the hole. Sam was shocked by his outburst. He gave Steve a funny look, but Steve didn't notice. The golem didn't really like his reaction, either. Both of them just stayed silent. Steve closed his chest and sat on it. He breathed in and out to calm himself. He hated when people went through this things. All of his hard work was just gone.

"So... what now?" Sam asked. The golem only stared at Steve.

"We're only a day away from the invasion," Steve said. "If we have to stay stuck in here for a few days, we'll starve without food now that the pig ate all of it."

He got off of the chest and handed Sam his bow and arrows.

"Here. Go into the wild and get us some food. I'll stay here, fix the golem's arm, and reassemble our chests."

Sam was skeptical when he took the bow from Steve's hands. He had never used a bow before, much less held one. He wasn't going to argue with an angry Steve, so he just nodded.

He gave Steve his sword as a trade and left. Steve, on the other hand, still wasn't feeling well. He felt like he was going to be sick. They had just about everything ready, and now this had them set back. He looked at the golem. It looked sad with only one arm.

"Come on, golem," Steve said. "I'll fix you up."

He walked up to one of his furnaces and put some coal and iron ore inside. While the iron was smelting, the golem watched him. When there were three warm iron ingots ready to be used, he asked the golem a question.

"I have three iron ingots here. You need four for your hand, right?"

The golem just stared at him. He pulled out another ingot.

"Okay, I've got four, now."

It just kept staring.

"What are you doing? Why are you staring at me?"

It didn't, or maybe couldn't, say anything. Steve was getting a little angry. He wanted to help the poor guy, but the golem wasn't making it any easier.

"Well, you know what? You do it yourself."

He threw the last ingot onto the crafting table for the golem to use and walked back to the chest. Painstakingly, he went through his items, checking to see what he could salvage, and put them back in the chest. The golem was able to craft his arm back to normal and put it back on.

Meanwhile, Sam was outside looking for animals to cook for food.

"You've got to be kidding me," he said.

There was no animal in sight. He walked around, but he still didn't see any animals. Because Steve lived in a small valley, it was hard for any mobs to spawn. Most of it was taken up by his garden and forest. Wait, the forest. He walked around to the small tree farm. He had almost missed it, but he could see a brown cow wandering between the trees. Smiling, he notched an arrow and aimed at the cow.

It mooed, but Sam thought it was shouting "no." Sam stopped and loosened his bowstring.

"No... I..."

He sighed.

"Notch, I can't do it."

He saw some of the apples growing on the trees in the forest. He notched his arrow again, aimed, and let it go. He smiled when he saw it was a direct hit. The apple fell from the tree. He walked over and picked it up, removing the arrow.

"I'd rather gather some apples, anyway."

He started picking the apples instead.

Back inside, the golem had no idea what else to do. It had been freed from being underground, and now it didn't know what to do with its newfound freedom. If he wasn't told to do anything, then he just wandered or stared at people. He walked over and watched Steve place the items into the chest in an organized manner. Steve heard it approach and looked up at its staring eyes. He was still aggravated and wanted some space.

"Why are you staring at me again? Go do something useful."

He went back to placing items in the chest. Thinking it walked away, he turned again. It was still staring at him. Steve couldn't deal with it, anymore.

"That's it."

He slammed the chest shut.

"That's enough. You seem to only listen to Sam, don't you?"

It only stared.

"I'll go get him."

He got up and walked out the door, the golem watching his every move.

Sam was picking the apples when he heard it. From the other side of the trees, he could hear lots of splashing coming from the river. He listened closely. It sounded like... sheep? He wandered around and looked at the river. It was definitely sheep. They floated down the river. He looked up just in time to see another sheep jump down the waterfall. He didn't understand. Why were they jumping from the top?

Steve walked up to Sam, very annoyed.

"Your golem is driving me crazy," he said. "He's just walking around and staring at me every five seconds. You need to--"

"Sh."

Steve was wide-eyed and dumbfounded.

"Who do you--"

"Shh. Do you hear that?"

"Hear what, exactly?"

"Look," Sam pointed.

Steve stopped talking and looked at the sheep. They were jumping into the valley. He thought it was weird, but then a sound caught his attention.

"What is that?"

"It's coming from up there," Sam said.

They listened closely. It was a low rumble, like thunder. It sounded like it was getting closer, and it was definitely getting louder. Sam caught the hisses and moans and nearly gasped.

"It's them!" Sam shouted. "They're here!"