An Unexpected Visitor

Steve and Sam woke up from a long, not-so-peaceful night's sleep. They could hear a skeleton clanking around above them. Not wanting to deal with it at the moment, they sat up under the low ceiling and ate some bread for breakfast. Sam tossed the pit a carrot, which it ate happily. He smiled and shook his head. They could hear some of the mobs above start to burn, but there were also the sounds of the ones that remained unscathed.

"Maybe it doesn't work on all mobs?" Sam asked.

Steve just shrugged.

They finished their breakfast and cleaned up their belongings. Steve picked up the torch and held it to the ceiling. Sam broke a dirt block. Standing on his bed, he peeked up through the hole.

"What do you see?" Steve asked.

"There's a skeleton under a tree close by and two zombies out in the sun," he said. "The rest I see is some random mob drops. There's some arrows on the ground we can use."

"That's good. We were running low."

Steve broke a block above his bed and aimed at the skeleton. One hit to the head took it out, and it dropped two additional arrows. The zombies noticed their presence and started in their direction. Sam pulled himself out of the hole and reached to unsheathe his diamond sword, only to find it was gone. The mobs didn't care and moved forward anyway.

"My sword is gone," he said. "Notch, it must've gotten left behind!"

"I've got them," Steve said.

He unsheathed his iron sword and made quick work of the two zombies. The pig shielded its eyes, peaking through one. Steve put his sword back and started collecting arrows.

"Fifteen total," Steve said. "It's uneven."

"You take the bigger half," Sam said. "You're a better aim than me."

Sam picked up the bow the skeleton had dropped. With the loot divided, they gathered what was left and set off again. No sooner had they taken off that Sam could see something in the distance.

"What is that?" Steve asked.

"You see it, too? I don't know. Something big. And white."

Whatever it was, it was in the direction the compass pointed, so there was no need to not check it out. As they got closer, Steve noticed something else.

"What's that?" He said and started running.

"What's what? Hey, wait up!" Sam called.

He caught up with Steve. Steve stopped and picked an item off the ground.

"An iron ingot?"

"Wait, look!" Sam said, pointing at what he saw earlier.

"It's the... golem?"

They walked up to the body of the golem. It was spread out on the ground, but it was definitely a golem.

"This doesn't make any sense," Steve said. "He can't be yours. We left him in the valley."

"You're wrong," a voice said.

Steve and Sam both jumped at the voice. They turned around and looked. There was an enderman standing there, speaking.

"This golem is yours."

Steve jumped back.

"Whoa whoa whoa, who the heck are you?"

Steve pulled his sword out and pointed at the talking enderman.

"Whoa, easy fella," it said. "I'm not going to hurt you."