The Invasion

Bernard was dozing off. The day had passed with no incident. Something disturbed him from his nap. He opened his eyes and rubbed them. He looked up at the sun, shielding his face with his hands. It was starting to dip low into the horizon. It was almost evening. The colors in the sky would change soon. He felt something again and looked at the ground. There were no mobs and no villagers making any noise. He looked at the soldiers. They were either dozing off or talking to one another. He felt a slight shake and looked back at the ground. The moat rippled every time he felt it.

"They're here! The Invasion is here!"

Steve yawned and sat up. The other soldiers groaned and yawned as they got up. They were all groggy from sitting in the sun. Someone smacked Steve's face hard enough to bring him to reality.

"What are you doing? Wake up!"

The blur diminished in his eyes. He could see Bernard.

"Wake up, Steve!"

He shook him.

"Wha... What happened?"

"You fell asleep. Everyone did! The mobs are here!"

Notch.

"Get everyone up! They're almost to the moat!"

"Right!"

He started going by each person, slapping their faces. It wasn't the nicest way to wake them up, but it would get them focused quickly on the battle. He got to Sam and slapped him. Sam shot up, holding his face.

"What the Notch? Get away from me!"

Sam pushed him. Steve grabbed the fence to keep from falling.

"They're here, you idiot!"

Steve shouting at him snapped him out of his temper. Steve ran off to wake more people. Sam looked over the edge. The mobs were already flooding through the trees. Sam couldn't count how many creepers there were. They were everywhere.

"Bows out!" Bernard commanded, pulling out his own.

They drew their bows and aimed at the trees.

"When you see a creeper, aim for the head," Steve shouted. "Just like we trained for. The spider's weakness is the abdomen. Zombies and skeletons are the same as creepers. Never look at an enderman in the eye."

They could hear the mobs coming through the other side of the trees. The sounds were so loud. Leaves crunched as they tried to make their way through the jungle. Several creeper explosions could be heard echoing off the walls. They could see the creepers moving through the trees. They were broken up enough to stop them from crowding.

"Fire!" Bernard shouted.

Arrows whizzed across the ramparts to the trees. They couldn't see the fast-moving arrows to move out of the way. Most of them were hit, but only half were hit in the head and died. More came out of the trees.

"Re-notch and give them constant fire!"

He put an arrow in his own box and hit one of the creepers that survived the first volley. He noticed three arrows going where he only fired one. He looked over and saw Lucy firing a fourth.

"You're really good at this."

"Thanks!"

The soldiers kept most of their focus on the creepers. As they kept coming, the archers managed to kill them before they could reach the moat. Steve kept watching them as he released his own arrows. They were slowly making it closer to the wall.

"Alicia, Sam, cover me!"

He ran down the stairs.

"On it!" Alicia said.