Reality Check

3 DAYS LATER...

It was the last day before the invasion was predicted to arrive. The village was quiet. The walls were completed, looking more impressive than Steve and Sam's previous work at the valley. Everything was brightly lit. The bonfire was merely a few puffs of smoke. The moat sat undisturbed around the walls. It was quiet in the dark.

 Steve woke up in the middle of the night. He felt nauseous and dizzy. He didn't understand what was happening. He tried to get up, only to collapse onto the floor. He couldn't focus his eyes on anything. All he could see was a blur of images in front of his face. He stopped his eyes from wandering and tried to focus on one thing at a time. He could make out the desk. A bookshelf. His bed. Slowly, everything was coming back to him. He grabbed the bed and shakily stood up. He wobbled up the steps to the ground level.

When he looked through the window in the door, he could only see darkness. He turned the knob and stepped out. The sky was dark, but it was somehow lit. There were no stars in the sky. The moon wasn't there. It was just a dark, purple hue illuminating the world.

Steve walked around the village. There was something off about it. He kept walking, looking for something out of place. He could feel it in his heart. Something was wrong. When he realized it, he quickly looked around. He checked inside houses. He called names.

"Sam! Bernard! Lucy!"

There was no answer.

The entire village was deserted.

Where is everyone? There's no one here!

The words seemed to come out of his mind and echo in the abandoned village.

You're in a place where none of your kind will ever be. You should not be here.

A voice. One he didn't recognize.

Who... who said that? What's going on?

Steve... yes... That is your name. Steve.

How do you know my name?

The voice ignored his question. Your village will turn to dust.

What?

We will conquer your world. None will stop us. We are many. We are one.

Many what? Answer me! What are you?

We will answer your pleas. With death!

Without warning, creepers materialized out of thin air on all sides. He spun in circles, trying to find where they came from. He couldn't see past the creatures. Their eyes glowed red with envy. He watched them circle and close in. They spoke in low voices.

We are many. We are one.

Stop it.

We are many. We are one.

I said stop it!

We are many. We are one.

Shut up!

We are many. We are one.

I can't take it! Shut the Nether up!

They shrank the circle and continued the chant.

We are many. We are one.

This can't be real.

We are many. We are one.

It has to be a dream. Wake up!

We are many. We are one.

Wake up already! Wake up! Wake up!

They drew even closer.

We are many. We are one.

No! No! Wake up! Now! Do it!

We are many. We are one.

They were upon him. He could feel it. This wasn't just a dream. The fear was too real. He could feel the death around him. No, this wasn't a dream.

It was a vision.

Wake up! Wake up!

We are many. You are one.

The creeper ignited. He shut his eyes.

Notch! Save me!