It's all in the Wrist

"Okay. I want everyone to line up single file starting where I am," Steve said.

Bernard had the podium removed to give Steve more space. Bernard and the others left to prepare for when they would come after training. There was a lot that had to be taken care of before the village would split off to their separate duties. Steve was left with a bunch of old wooden swords to give to people and practice with.

"Okay. One by one, I will have each person give me their name, and I will hand you a sword. I will test your abilities and consider your skill."

The crowd formed a long line. Steve was already sweating. He had a lot of people to go through. The first person walked up. He was dark-skinned and slightly lanky. He looked awkward with the sword in his hand.

"Name?"

"Arnold."

"Let's see what you've got. Don't be nervous. I'll go easy."

They sparred with their swords for only a couple of minutes. Expectedly, Steve still won, despite giving Arnold plenty of openings. If there were many more inexperienced people like him, they would need a lot more training before they could fight an army. After Arnold, two more men, one younger and one older, fought and lost with not as much ease as Arnold. Steve was thinking it was going to be a breeze when a girl stepped up.

"Name?"

"Alicia."

He handed her a sword.

"Let's see--"

She charged quickly, swinging her sword. Her sudden burst took him by surprise. He barely had enough time to deflect it, and the knockback he received was intense. She spun in an arc and nearly landed a blow on his shoulder. It wouldn't have broken it, but it would have hurt. Had he not moved back a little, it would have left a big bruise. Alicia smiled, and Steve returned it.

"Whoa! You're good!"

"Thanks," she said. She took another swing, which he easily deflected. He delivered a swing back, and she somehow parried it hard enough to push him back. She struck her sword down on his left leg, making him fall with one knee up. As she took a wide swing, he used his sword and caught it on the sword guard. He pushed himself up off his knee quickly, pushing against her. The sudden force caught her off guard, and she could feel her grip slipping. He pushed her away and smacked the sword out of her hands. She lost her balance and fell. Steve pointed his sword at her in triumph.

"No! I was doing so good!" She said disappointedly.

"You were," he congratulated. "It's not every day someone can be quick with a sword. At least zombies don't fight with swords. Normally."

Steve offered his hand. She took it and stood up.

"That was some of the best sword fighting I've ever seen," Steve said. "You practice?"

"I have a little, but I mostly just watched you. I looked for your flaws and tried to remember your moves."

"What do you do, Alicia?"

"Well... I don't really do much. I just help around when and where I can. I mostly hang out with Forester, the younger one. He goes outside the village every day. He's so... interesting. He tells great stories, and he's a pretty hard worker."

"Friends?"

She nodded. "Have been for a while."

"You be sure to keep a close eye on him. I've learned that Foresters are better than they first seem. Not exactly great at first impressions."