Around Every Corner

The tunnel stayed dark for only a few minutes. Steve could see a dim light ahead.

"Is that the surface?" Sam asked.

"It can't be," he said. "We're too deep."

The floor and walls changed from stone to old stone bricks covered in moss. It was very damp and smelly.

"What is this place?" Sam asked.

"It's an underground fortress," Steve said. "There aren't many of these around, anymore. Going through here with one sword and almost no food is madness."

"It doesn't seem like we have much of a choice. Let's keep moving and see what we can find."

They continued walking down the corridor until they reached a three-way fork ahead of them.

"The roads diverge," Steve said. "We'll have to separate to cover more ground, but I don't have a weapon. Only a pickax."

Sam looked at a dead skeleton on the floor.

"There's a bow and some arrows over there," Sam said. "Can you use that?"

Steve looked at the pile of bones. The bow was dusty but usable. A quiver had spilled arrows all over the floor.

"Awesome," Steve said.

He gathered them up and tested the drawstring on the bow. It felt sturdy.

"I'll take the left," Sam said, "you the right. We'll explore the paths a bit then decide which one to take."

"Sounds like a plan. Good luck, buddy."

They separated through the two corridors, leaving the third in the center untouched. Through Sam's path, he had to go around multiple corners before it could settle off onto a straight path again.

"This place is like a maze," Sam said to himself.

A little further showed that he had hit a dead end made of regular stone. He waved his torch around, looking to see if there was a small tunnel that he could get through. He didn't see any holes, but he saw something else strange. There was a lever on the floor. He approached it, walking by an open prison. There was a zombie rotting in the corner. He didn't see it, but it definitely saw him.

It came out after him. It let out a slow moan that drew Sam's attention. With one quick swipe to the skull, he was able to knock it flat. He looked at the lever again. It was just sitting on the floor out in the open. It was weird. He couldn't see what it was supposed to lead to. He wondered if it possibly triggered any TNT in the wall. Either way, he didn't see a reason why he shouldn't pull it. He grabbed the handle and pulled it.

He expected to hear a sizzle, but that wasn't what he heard. He heard something clanking behind the wall with a loud object banging on the other side. It was loud and shook the ground a little. He took a few steps back before running into the prison. He shut the door, not realizing it would lock. He watched as the wall opened up and released a large... thing.

The large white figure walked out of the room with heavy footsteps, finally free. Vines dangled over its body and down its arms. It was at least twice as tall as Sam and had long arms that almost touched the floor. It had a familiar face, one that looked like a villager, with a long nose and red glowing eyes. In its hand, it held a single rose. It made a deafening clanking noise that made Sam shake in fear. It turned to see Sam inside, trying to hide, and tried to push the door open. It stayed, but it wouldn't for long.

"Go away!" Sam said. "Just go away and leave me alone!"

It stood there, staring at him.

"What do you want?" He asked it.