A New Leader Born

"How long has he been out there?"

Sam and Bernard were inside the librarian's home at his dining table. They were offered supper that consisted of rabbit stew. Sam and Bernard thanked the villager, for Steve was still outside. A place was set for him at the table. Lucy had just come inside. There was a light chill in the air from the rain.

"Almost all day," she said. "He hasn't moved."

"I don't blame him. The poor fella," Bernard said. "I feel sorry for him. I wish there was something we could do to help."

"I thought I wanted to end Nicholas," Lucy said. "After seeing how that hurt Steve... I'm glad I held my hand back."

"Killing someone changes you," Bernard said. "Even if you don't like them. It's a boundary that's difficult to come back from."

"I wish we could help him," Lucy said.

Sam looked at the golem for an answer it could not give.

"We can't forget why we're here," he said. "The village is still in danger. That hasn't changed. Steve needs to remember."

"You know him better than anyone," Lucy reminded. "Is there a way to get through to him?"

"Maybe. He's not a builder like me. When I see something broken, I want to fix it. I wish I could fix Steve."

Sam looked at his sword leaning against the wall in the sunlight. An idea bubbled in his head.

"Maybe... there is."

~~~

Steve had been sitting at Nicholas's grave all day. He felt the heavy weight of depression like a cloud full of rain that wouldn't go away. The sword was ingrained in his mind. The darkness it possessed... it wasn't natural, and Nicholas finding it wasn't an accident.

Who put it there?

The rain came and went. When the sun came out, the air was sticky. His clothes were soaked through. He pulled at his collar uncomfortably. Water dripped to the muddy ground. He stared at the sign on the single block. He thought of what he said to him, the words echoing in his head.

You're a murderer.

He regretted ever saying those words. Nicholas wasn't a murderer. What he had become was a killer, not the true Nicholas. The thought of it made him feel sick. He felt a tickle in his throat. He wanted to throw up.

"Hey, Steve."

It was Sam. He sat next to him, ignoring the mud now soaking through his pants. Sam held out a piece of warm bread. Steve shook his head.

"No, thanks. Not hungry."

"I need your help with something."

"I'm no help to anyone right now."

"Please? Bernard said he's doing it right, but I don't think he is. You don't want the village to explode again, do you?"

Steve looked at him. He didn't know what Sam was talking about, but destroying the village was... less than ideal.

"Umm... okay?"

He got up and followed Sam. He felt a little embarrassed walking around with mud on his butt. He could gradually hear the sounds of metal clanging on metal.