Good Works

After the incident, Miner took a nap and ate some food before getting out of bed. He insisted he was alright, but most of the day was already gone. They wouldn't go back underground without him. It was nearly time for the evening feast.

"I'd just like to say one thing," Lucy said. "We made a lot of progress on our food and water stocks. By tomorrow, we should have plenty of rations ready for the battle."

Bernard spoke up, "And I think I speak for everyone when I say this: we have made so much progress today. Well done everyone! Now, let this feast be your reward for your hard work."

Everyone applauded. Music started playing, and food was passed around. Talk of the day's work was the main topic of the evening. It was almost exotic to talk about when the entire village was working together. It was music to Steve's ears to hear how much they were enjoying the change of pace. He looked to Bernard for a reaction, but his chair was empty. Slightly concerned, he excused himself while the rest of the village mingled and went looking for him.

It didn't take long to find him. He was in his house talking with the golem under the house.

"Hey, where have you been? I was getting worried," Steve said as he climbed down the steps.

"Oh, sorry. I just came down here to be with golem," he said.

The golem nodded, his head creaking.

"What are you doing down here?"

"Trying to figure something out."

"What, exactly?"

"What happened to Miner earlier didn't feel right. We had checked that everything was safe. There is no explanation as to how those creepers got there. It was bright enough, there were no holes in the floor, and the cave was too small to not notice something like that. My Insight is going crazy, but I can't figure out what it is."

"Whatever it is, maybe it's Notch telling you something."

"Telling me what?"

The golem raised an eyebrow.

"Maybe he's showing  you there's something bigger to this."

"What?"

"I... I don't know. Maybe we'll find out later. Keep it in thought, but don't let it drag you down. Come back to the feast. You earned it, too, you know."

He sighed. "You're right. Hey, golem. Why don't you join us?"

The golem nodded with delight.

~~~

4 Days Until the Invasion...

That next day, Bernard gave another that was nothing less encouraging than the previous. When everyone had gathered for training, save the children that played with sticks and leather helmets, Steve announced that they would be focusing on archery. It would be the most crucial skill to have as most of the mobs they would kill would be from a distance. He had a neat idea to help them practice that he borrowed from Crafter's supply while he was checking on the progress of his sword.

Steve counted how many villagers would be practicing and started placing blocks. Villagers watched, confused, as he placed hay bales on top of wooden planks spaced two blocks apart from each other in a line. Lucy was helping him set up, placing a button on the bales of hay and a redstone lamp on top.

"We're going to test your accuracy," Steve said. "Some of you will do better than others. Don't fret over it if that's the case. These buttons are much smaller than a monster's head. Each of you will be given a bow and a few arrows. Your goal is to hit this button and light up the lamp. Lucy will demonstrate."