Chapter Seventeen: We're Going in Circles.

"They say we're losers, and we're all right with that. We are the leaders of the 'Not Coming Back's." -5SOS: She's Kinda Hot

Chapter Seventeen: Circles. We're Going in Circles.

It had been eight days, and counting, since James and I had kissed. Which, by default, meant it had been eight days, and counting, since James and I had last spoken. Lily, and Sirius, had been trying to trap us in a room together for seven days, and somehow, all sixteen times, one of us had evaded them. Pure talent at its finest.

It was Tuesday morning, New Year's Eve, when Lily told me she was dressing me up. "This isn't another one of your schemes to get James and I to talk, is it?" I questioned, and she rolled her eyes, already searching through my closet.

"Yes it is, and do you know why I'm so persistent about this, Belle?" she questioned, throwing a white tank top, a pair of black leggings, and an oversized knitted maroon sweater at me.

"No, but I have a feeling you're going to tell me." I responded taking off my pajamas and pulling on the garments she had thrown at me.

"Because, Isabelle, in case you had forgotten, you have a mission you're supposed to be on. The whole "Saving us from having thousands of people killed off" bit." She said, while pushing my clothed body into the chair in front of the vanity, and began to fiddle with my hair. Surprisingly, a lot of problems have been solved with someone doing my hair and makeup, this term.

"I haven't forgotten the mission. He's not dating you, is he?" I questioned, and she pulled on my hair sharply.

"It's true that he isn't dating me, and won't because Sirius is in the picture now but, Belle," she started, twisting my long hair into a messy bun, and securing it with bobby pins. "Everything isn't just about the mission. Sometimes you've got to stop hiding, and start living. Also, James is your soulmate, at least that's how Dumbledore put it. He's got to be some relevant figure in your life, now hasn't he?" she questioned.

"I suppose so, Lils. When did you get so wise?" I joked, turning in the chair to make eye contact with her. She laughed too, pulling out her makeup bag.

"Now pout so I can apply the nude lipstick." She ordered.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Lily had explained to me that Sirius was going to empty the common room so James and I could have some space to talk the awkwardness out. After all, trying to lock us in abandoned classrooms hadn't worked out, and so they decided to go for the basic approach. That's why, when I had gone down to the common room, I was surprised to see James talking quietly to Sirius in a rushed manner. Sirius left after a few moments, and I was left alone with the one person I had spent the good part of last week avoiding.

"We have to talk." We both said in unison, causing a choked laugh to leave my parted lips. I took the recliner in front of the fire place, and James took the one opposite. "You go first," both of us said, at the same time, again. I gestured to James, who took a deep breath before starting.

"Belle, I'm so sorry I kissed you that night. I'm sorry it wrecked our friendship, and I'm sorry that the first bit into your term at a new school went so terribly. I'm sorry that you got caught up in the feud between us and the Slytherins, because you didn't know any better, and I'm sorry that we didn't warn you. Most of all, I'm sorry that for the last week, I had lost you as a friend. Your friendship means so much to me, from the witty jokes, to the helpful tips in our elaborate pranks. So, how about we just forget this all happened, and be friends again?" he said, sounding quite rehearsed, and flustered.

In an instant I felt crushed. Right when I was ready to admit my feelings towards him, he says he just wants to be friends. My soulmate just wants to be friends with me, and nothing more. My heart felt like lead that had dropped to the pit of my stomach, and simultaneously clogged my trachea, effectively stopping me from breathing. But of course, not wanting to lose him completely, I nodded. "Sure. Friends." I replied.

After all, if we learned one thing from When Harry Met Sally, It was that boys and girls can't just be friends without developing feelings for one another.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Based on what you guys can gather from author's notes, which marauder do you ship me with?

~Belle x