Chapter 12: Making Music Magic

Joey paced his room as he clutched the papers in his hands. He had no reason to be nervous, but somehow, some way, he always found some reason to be nervous for surprises. He had some a super special surprise for Daniel, but there was always possibility that he would hate it.

"Daniel! Could you come here for a minute?" Joey yelled his voice was a bit shaky, hoping that Daniel could hear him downstairs. He almost thought that Daniel hadn't heard him. A few seconds later, Joey could hear footsteps coming up the stairs. Joey let out a sigh and got ready.

"Yeah?" Daniel came in. Joey stopped pacing and sat down on the bed. He patted the bed next to him and Daniel sat down next to him. Joey let out a deep breath, "So you know how I have the first recording of my song next week? Well I wanted to sing it for you, so you could give me some feedback. I've never written music before, lyrics sure. But actual music, no, so I want you to be totally honest with me if you hate it okay?" Joey said. Daniel just smiled and nodded. His smile was comforting and was just what Joey needed. Joey gave Daniel a weak smile and cleared his throat before he began singing.

"I know you've gotta strong heart, it's written the stars, behind the castle walls you've hid your light. But when you let the past go, your story unfolds, look out your window, into the night. The darkness can be such a lonely place on your own, I'll be your compass so you'll never feel alone. Don't wait for the world to be ready, who says you can't explore, who says you can't explore. Don't wait for the world to be ready, find what you're looking for, find what you're looking for." Joey cleared his throat again before moving on to the second verse. The nervousness in his stomach began to dissolve slowly.

"All the monsters in your head now, stare them all down, if they come back around you'll be alright. And when the journey gets tough, just know that you're enough,you're like a warrior, keep up the fight." Joey stopped singing, "Then it just repeats. Daniel was silent for a minute before saying something. Joey worried that he hated it. Daniel took a moment to soak in the melody and lyrics. He only had one thing to say.

"Who's it about?" Daniel bit his lip. Joey blushed, "Well, some of it was me giving my younger self advice. Some of it was about you. You telling me that I'd never be lost with you, because you're my compass. And that the world doesn't seem so scary when I'm with you." Joey explained. Joey broke eye contact amd looked away shyly. Daniel stood up, walked over to Joey, held his face in his hands and traced from Joey's temple to his jaw and lifted his chin up, kissing him.

"I love it. And I love you. I'm lucky to have such a talented boyfriend," Daniel tugged Joey into his chest and planted a kiss on the top of his head.

"I love you too," Joey murmured into Daniel's chest.

- • - • - • - • -

Joey walked into the studio, his hands shaking. He was more nervous and excited than he'd ever been. He had never done anything like this before. He had been in recording studios for things like Shane's podcast, but never to record his own song.

"Hey darling! Are you ready!" the bubbly man waiting for them at the door said. The man reminded Joey of himself, flamboyant and very happy. Daniel reached down and squeezed Joey's shaking hands. It was just what Joey needed.

"Ready as I'll ever be." Joey smiled. The man gestured for them to follow him.

"So we'll record the instruments first, then we'll record you're vocals while the music plays in the background tomorrow okay?" The man opened a door and they walked into the recording room.

"Okay we gave the band and background vocalists the sheet music you sent us last week. So we'll have them play it once for you, and you can make any adjustments you'd like. The name's Brody by the way." he said all in one breath.