Chapter 1: Not Into You

June 27, 2014

Joey Graceffa, YouTuber, comedian, blogger, and right now, a little tipsy.

Joey walked the empty streets of Anahiem, California. He looked around, noticing the few cars and people passing him. He frowned, pulled out his phone, and simultaneously crashed into someone.

"Watch it, you creep," the woman glared at him. She re-adjusted her purse on her shoulder and continued walking. Joey looked at her fading figure and then picked his phone up off the cold concrete. No cracks, thank goodness. He looked at he time. 1:37 in the morning! He should be in bed by now. He had a meetup tomorrow morning.

Luckily, Joey's hotel was coming up on the right. He jogged up to the doors and pulled them open. He walked into the warm lobby just in time to see one of the elevator doors closing. He ran over and put his hand in the door, stopping it. He slid ungracefully into the elevator and pressed the close door button. He then leaned against the side of the elevator and let out a heavy breathe.

"Which floor?" the other occupant of the elevator spoke.

"Excuse me?" Joey asked, not understanding.

"What floor are you on?" the man clarified, pointing to the elevator panel.

"Oh yeah, that would be helpful," Joey said, mentally smacking himself, "The top floor." The man nodded and leaned over to press the number 30 on the panel, the number 27 already highlighted.

Joey grabbed the bar on the wall and studied the man standing across from him. His dark brown hair was styled into a quiff, the same way Joey did his own hair. He had facial hair, not a beard, but just enough that it looked good.The man had piercing green eyes, one's that Joey had seen on movie stars, and a strong jaw line. He was tall, taller than Joey, and he was leaning casually against the elevator wall.

The lights above them began to flicker. Joey looked up in confusion. Suddenly, the elevator came to an abrupt stop that nearly made Joey lose his balance. Joey cursed under his breathe.

This made the man let out a little chuckle, "Well this sucks huh?"

"Yeah, this really sucks." Joey replied, knocking his head gently on the elevator wall.

"In a rush to get back?" the man inquired.

Joey sighed, "Yeah. I should've been in bed hours ago, but the party was more fun than I thought it would be."

"Party?" the man asked.

"Um, yeah. I was at a Vidcon party. I'm a youtuber. Joey Graceffa," Joey held out his hand to the man.

"Daniel Preda," the man shook his hand, and Joey could feel Daniel's eyes studying him, "Oh right! I knew I recognized you from somewhere. I've seen you in collabs a few times."

"Yeah. So are you here for Vidcon?" Joey asked.

"Yeah." Daniel said, nodding his head, "I don't watch very many Youtube videos, but I had a free weekend and I figured it would be something fun to do," he explained.

"Well, Vidcon is a lot of fun, so you're in the right place!" Joey assured him. Silence fell over the still elevator.

"So, where are you from?" Daniel asked, trying not to let this elevator ride become awkward. If there was anything that Daniel couldn't stand, it was avoidable awkward situations.

"I'm originally from Massachusetts, but I moved to LA with one of my friends when I started Youtube." Joey said nodding. His eyes darted around the elevator before he let them rest on Daniel's face.