Chapter 9: Deck The Halls

Christmas and New Year's were right around the corner. New Year, New Me was on of the many phrases that were floating around this time of year. But then again it always was. This year was going to be a sad Christmas, one of the saddest Christmases Joey had ever had, and he had had his fair share of horrible family Christmases. Daniel had gone home a couple days ago to spend Christmas with family, and David had gone home also. Meghan had things to take care of so she couldn't go home. In other words, this meant a pretty small and lonely Christmas for them.  And Joey, well, he had his own reasons for staying in LA. Mostly family issues. Something about the word family and Christmas didn't mix well in Joey's head. Joey had been having a hard time and he figured going home would make it worse. So it was just going to be Joey, Meghan, and little Wolfie.  He was almost glad for his intimate Christmas with his best friend. Almost.

Joey missed his boyfriend almost too much. Joey picked up his phone and called Daniel. He hadn't talked to Daniel since he left. The phone rang for longer than it usually did before Daniel picked up. Joey was almost afraid he wasn't going to pick up.

"Hello dearium," his voice was scraggly, and it sounded like he'd just woken up. Joey's heart fluttered at the sound of his voice. Nothing made him feel like this. No one made him feel like this. He almost thought this relationship was too good to be true.

"Hey, how's Boston?" Joey asked, a smile on his face even though he missed him. It was hard going from having him just a few minutes away, to having him on the other side of the country. He just imagined what he would be doing if he were here. Probably cleaning, Daniel had a habit of cleaning up after Joey, Meghan, and David when he came over. It was nice, especially since they were all pretty disorganized and messy.

"Amazing, it's been fun seeing my family. It would be even more amazing is you were here." Daniel said. Joey wished he had just gone with Daniel to Boston, but he was also glad he got to spend some time with Meghan. It had been a while since they had hung out, just the two of them. There wasn't much that Joey and Daniel could do when Daniel's mom had insisted he come back east for the winter holiday. As she was a stubborn Romanian women, just as stubborn as Daniel, she was dead set on him coming home. Daniel couldn't blame her. He had always spent Christmas with his family, to do anything otherwise was odd to him, but then again he never had a reason not to go home.

"Thanks, I miss you too. I wish you could be here." Joey said. He was almost as stubborn as Daniel was. He couldn't, wouldn't, leave Meghan alone on Christmas. He had been planning to stay in LA for the holiday anyway. Then again he hadn't planned for Daniel not to be.

"Well, good news, my mother decided not to chain my up in the basement for New Year's. So we can spend it together." Daniel squealed over the phone. Joey's heart exploded. He never remembered being so excited to see anyone. It had only been a couple of days, but it had felt like weeks since he had seen Daniel. Even more than a couple days apart and they were already missing each other dearly.

"I can't wait." Joey said. Joey head someone calling Daniel's name in the background. It sounded female. He was jealous for a second. Whoever she was, she was lucky, she got Daniel and Joey didn't.

"Sorry but I have to go." Daniel said. He sounded hurried. It was probably his mom.

"Bye." Joey barely could get out the words before Daniel hung up. Joey suddenly felt empty. He had never felt anything like this before, about anyone. There was something about Daniel that made him feel almost posessive. He knew that Daniel wasn't just his. As much as he wanted him to be.  

              -  •  -  •  -  •  -  •  -  •  -

"Who was that?" Daniel's mom asked when he came into the kitchen. He had been helping her do the dishes as she cooked some items for Christmas day. Joey had called right as he was washing a big metal bowl. He wiped the soapy suds from his phone.