Chapter 15 | Part 1

Anrai laid back on the bed, he felt horrible for rejecting Hayden, but he had to survive this, he couldn’t leave his brother, the lad wasn’t yet 16.

He thought of his brother, his dark brown hair and brown eyes, perhaps you’re average boy, but he was gifted, he knew the boy could dance like no other.

Anrai knew that he would’ve been sold into entertainment. He didn’t know how, but he had to get back to him.  

He looked up as Jayda entered the room.

“I know why you’re here, I can’t do it.”

“You don’t believe I could simply come to see if you’re alright?”

“I apologize if that was your intention.”

“No you’re right it wasn’t.  I came to reason.”

“He will kill me if I testify against him, even if he is convicted.”

“Tell me Anrai, what is your brothers name?”

Anrai’s head shot up, why was she questioning about his brother?

He looked her up and down, trying to guess her motive.

“Collin.”

“What if I could find Collin.”

Anrai looked back down.

“What good would that do if I were dead?”

“There is no question of safety.”

Anrai’s eyes began to water.

“And if there’s not then what? Master’s convicted and then I am sold to a new home. All I know is that my brother is probably living somewhere terrible.” 

Jayda had moved to sit on the foot of Anrai’s cot, where Hayden had sat not an hour ago.

“It wouldn’t be difficult to acquire him, then he would be here.”

Anrai looked up at Jayda, tears streaming down his thin cheeks.

“You promise this.”

“If you testify, nothing will stop me.

Anrai’s eyes fell, he knew that if he testified that Ethan would be imprisoned upon multiple accounts of attempted murder, and there were numerous other things he could tell the court.

Upon his charge, all of his property and belongings would be sold, including Anrai, and he knew that, but Jayda had promised his brother a good home, could he forsake that?

“I will.”

Jayda smiled and put her hand on his lower leg.

“Thank you.”