Chapter 4 | Part 3

Jayda took the lead from the slave boys hands and pulled him behind her up the stairs. He stumbled once and her arm was jerked behind her and his hands hit the stair to keep himself from falling farther.

She turned back to see his hands come up in a defensive position. She shook her head, she would let this one slide, because it was her birthday.

She pulled him the rest of the way up the stairs and into her room where she turned the light on and dropped the leash.

She grabbed some sweats and a tank top and walked into the adjoining bathroom, so ready to get out of the dress. Once changed she walked out to find the slave standing where she had left him, examining her room.

As soon as he noticed she was back in it, he looked back down. Jayda sat down on her large round bed and pulled out the packet of paper showing the slaves information.

"Wow. You've definitely had your share of homes haven't you."

He remained silent.

"When I ask a question I do expect an answer."

He gulped, not wanting to get hit again he replied:

"Yes mistress. Sorry mistress."

She looked down and continued reading.

"You-you were at Almond Manor?"

"Yes ma'am. When I was 8."

She stood and walked toward him.

"What is your name slave?"

“H-Hayden,”

He told her, it had been far too long since he had used his name, it seemed that it was usually ‘lazy scum’ or something that his master had decided to call him.

“And tell me Hayden,” she said emphasizing his name, "are you by chance, named after your father?”

He hesitated one second too long.  Her hand connected with his jaw, and as exhausted as he was, it sent Hayden to the floor.

“My question!”

He used his hands to push himself up,

“No ma’am.  I’m named for my uncle.”

"Was he at Almond Manor as well? “

“Yes.”

She sat back down and Hayden pushed himself up from the floor.

“If I may, what is the importance?”

She looked at him fury in her eyes.

“10 of your human years ago a man bearing your name, your uncle, started a revolution at Almond Manor. At the same time that my mother was there, and he killed her.”

He stepped back,

“I-I didn’t know. I’m sorry, it was out of place for me to ask.”

Her eyes softened slightly, but only slightly.

“Yes, it was wasn’t it.”

His head dropped down and he raised his arms preparing himself for another hit, but it never came, he looked up to see her sitting on her bed, downcast at this vicious reminder of her mothers death.  

He wanted to reach out to her, and comfort her, but he knew she would only push him away, so he stayed where he stood, and waited for her to act.

She finally picked the sheet back up.

“You’re 18 then.”

“Yes’m”

She nodded and continued reading.

“Why is it you’ve never kept a home for more than six months?”

He looked down before answering.

“I don’t know. Surely my masters have said something in those papers.”

“Perhaps so,”

Came her answer. So she read on, every house had a different reason, and not one connected  him with his past.  

“Sleep on the floor tonight, you will take your place with the other slaves in the morning.”