Part Five:

Part 5:

"Zoe!" A voice muttered urgently, rousing Zoe from her sleep. She opened her eyes to see Millie leaning over her, a worried expression plastered on her face.

Then Millie's form flickered. She turned into what Zoe had seen at the disco with Liam, her auburn hair tied back in a ponytail, fake leg gone. In it's place was a wooden peg leg.

"Millie?" Zoe asked, sitting up and glancing around. Her surroundings weren't familiar, in fact - she had no idea where she was. There was the smell of salt water though; the sea had to be close by, and for some reason that calmed her.

"Zoe, there's no time to explain." Millie rushed her words, hauling her friend to her feet. "I've stalled Ester, Max and Josh, but we've got to hurry!"

"Why are you-" Zoe gestured to Millie's dress and she blushed.

"I'm a dryad, a tree nymph. My life force is connected to a tree."

"What about Jaz and Liam?"

"Liam is a satyr. Jaz is a demigod. You remember the old greek myths, don't you?"

Zoe remembered alright - she had been fascinated by them when her parents had given her multiple books about mythology to read. "Like, Zeu-"

"Don't say the name!" Millie clamped a hand over Zoe's mouth. "Names have power! It's alright for dryad and satyr because I'm one and they're protecting us, but not the big guys up there!" She pointed upwards with her finger.

Zoe was beyond confused.

"Anyway, Chiron will explain back at camp. But for now, grab my hand. We're going for a ride." Millie pulled Zoe towards a large tree. She ran into it, dragging Zoe along with her, but instead of crashing into the wood, they passed right through it into a completely different clearing.

"How did you do that?" Zoe asked, amazed.

"Tree-jumping." Millie panted. Just one trip had worn her out. "It's a dryad thing."

"Cool." Zoe said.

"Come on, one more trip, oh, and if I don't make it, tell Chiron that Jaz has been taken, and Liam is on his way."

"What do you-" but Zoe's words were never heard, because Millie ran into another tree, taking Zoe along with her.

They appeared on a hilltop besides a tall pine tree with a glittering golden fleece in one of the higher branches. Millie collapsed, and her body started fading.

"No!" Zoe cried, clutching at thin air as Millie disappeared in a shower of green dust. Zoe started to sob, falling to her knees and putting her head in her hands. "It's all my fault!"

"Fear not, child." A soothing voice murmured, and Zoe felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around to see a figure towering over her. But it wasn't human. Well, from the waist up it was, but beneath that, the person had a horse's body.

"You - you're a c-centaur?" Zoe choked.

The centaur smiled kindly. "Indeed. My name is Chiron. Don't worry about your friend - she got too far away from her tree and didn't have enough strength to stabilise herself. She'll be back to check on you soon. But my dear, do you know what happened to the other two?"

"Liam and Jaz?" Zoe asked.

"Yes."

"I have no idea." She said, straining her memory. Then she remembered what Millie told her to say. "Liam is coming. And Jaz has been taken."

Chiron sighed, gazing at the ground sadly. "I feared as much. But come now, you must be hungry. And you haven't told me your name, but I assume you must be Zoe?"

"How did you-?"

"Your parents are old students of mine. I remember when you were just a baby at your parents' wedding."

"Wait - where are my parents?" In all of the confusion, Zoe had completely forgotten about her mother and father.

"They should know where you are. Follow me, I have some explaining to do."

Chiron trotted down the hill and Zoe followed him, unsure of what to do.