18; Contrary Belief

Claire inched around the ambulance, watching as Corey's head whipped around in fear.

"Corey." She whispered, grabbing his arm. The younger boy tore it away, looking at her with wide eyes. "We can help you, you just need to-"

"They're coming." He gasped, pushing her away. "Go. Now!"

She watched as he stood against the ambulance, his body turning red and white until he couldn't be seen at all. The clanking of metal made her turn around, one of the doctors facing her nonchalantly. She tried to keep her hands from shaking as she raised the crossbow, squeezing the trigger.

Their hand caught it easily, Claire backing up as the arrow was snapped in half. She felt cold hands grip her arms before shoving her against the ambulance, her eyes wide as the leader stood right in front of Corey. Before she could even protest he stabbed at the ambulance with his cane, the chimera materializing around it.

The doctor released Claire, the girl sliding down the side of the vehicle with a whimper, her eyes never leaving the lifeless body.

"Claire." Scott pulled her off the ground, holding her shoulders as she stared at Corey, not even responding to him. "Hey, hey."

He turned her face towards him, her eyes watering as she looked at him.

"The doctors-" She stammered, her breath catching in her throat. Scott let out a deep breath and kissed her forehead, waves of fear and sadness hitting him as he touched her.

"We better go." Theo stated, looking up at them from where he knelt next to the Chimera.

"We need to find Hayden." Scott said, swallowing hard.

● ● ●

"Run Hayden, run!" Liam yelled, pushing himself up as Scott growled in the entrance, gaining the attention of the doctors. As the alpha lunged at one of them, claws out and snarling, Claire grabbed Hayden's wrist and pulled her away. The two ran through the club, glancing over their shoulders to make sure no one followed.

"Here." Hayden gasped, pulling her through one of the beaded curtains.

"You alright?" She asked, struggling to catch her breath. The chimera nodded, eyes wide as she listened to the commotion in the other room. "What, what's happening?"

"Theo's here." The doppelgänger's eyebrows furrowed at her words, turning back around as she heard their names being called.

"Liam?" She yelled, freezing when she came face to face with one of the monsters that had haunted her dreams for the second time today. Without hesitation she kicked her leg out, hitting the doctor in the chest.

It seemed to surprise them more than it actually hurt them, stumbling back a bit. Her fist came at them, only to have it be grabbed by the doctor, twisting until she cried out in pain. A metal hand shot out, smacking her across the face and into the ground, their foot planting firmly on her chest.

"No!" She gasped, struggling to get free as they grabbed Hayden, shoving a syringe into her neck, Liam bursting through the curtain in time to witness, the girl's terrified shriek ringing in their ears. Liam let out a pained cry as her eyes covered with a silver film, falling to her knees.

Claire sucked in a deep breath as the crushing weight was lifted, coughing wildly. A lump grew in her throat as Liam ran to Hayden, taking her into his arms, watching as she fell back against the wall. She had failed to protect Corey and Hayden, she failed against the doctors.