05; Daggers And Nightclubs

"If ninety-nine point nine percent of our DNA sequence is the same as other humans, at could account for the missing point one percent difference?" The teacher asked, walking back and forth in front of her desk. "Theo?"

"Um, nucleotides." He answered, looking up from his book.

"That's right." She nodded, looking at Claire as she raised her hand. "Yes Claire?"

"Can there be more than one species in the same DNA?" She asked, Scott and Kira turning to look at her. The alpha had called her last night to fill her in on what Deaton said when he stopped by Scott's house.

"No. But there can be multiple sets of DNA in the same individual." She replied, gaining Scott's attention again. "We call that a chimera."

Claire quickly scrawled the word Chimera along the top of her notebook, tapping her pen on the side.

"Anyone know where that term comes from? Sydney?"

"Greek Mythology." Sydney answered, excited that she could actually contribute for once. "It's a lion, with a goat coming out of it's back and a tail that ends in the head of a snake."

"That's right Sydney. Would you like to read us the full Wikipedia entry off your phone?" The girl looked down sheepishly, placing her phone on the desk, Scott writing chimera in his own notebook. "But that does get us into the next topic of mutation. As you know from the reading, DNA is a fragile molecule. Isn't that right Scott? Or did you miss last nights assigned reading?"

"Kind of." He replied, Claire wincing slightly.

"Kind of? Or yes?"

"Mostly yes."

"Well then. Thank you for another helpful transition in topic." She scoffed, his shoulders tensing visibly.  Claire leaned forward and placed her hand on his arm, rubbing her thumb across his bicep comfortingly, causing him to relax considerably under her touch. Kira's lips pressed into a thin line as she watched Scott put his hand over Claire's before swallowing hard and looking away. "Drop forms. All those now acutely aware that they do not belong in this class, you should fill one out. The rest, will be on my desk."

She slapped two forms onto certain students desk before waving them above her head and placing them on her own, dismissing class. Claire watched sadly as Scott got up, staring at the pile and grabbing one.

● ● ●

"Did you get in and see Lydia?" Scott asked as Malia and Stiles walked over to their table in the library.

"No." He groaned, rubbing his hands together. "I tried using my free period, but she's still in the ICU."

"Only family allowed." Claire stated, tucking a curl behind her ear.

"We got one thing though." Malia said, setting down a large book and opening it, the word Bestiary sitting boldly on the page.

"Anything in here about half werewolves, half Kanimas?" Kira sighed, flipping through the pages.

"Chimera." Claire corrected, pursing her lips, Stiles and Malia staring at her dumbfounded.

"A what?"

"Chimera." Scott explained. "It's a creature made up of numerous parts. And if Liam said he found two burial sites.."

"That means Tracy's not the only one." Claire finished, biting down on the inside of her cheek.

"Who's the second chimera?" Kira asked, looking around at the pack.

"And why would they bury them?" Stiles added, eyes locking with Scott.