14; Helpless

Liam blinked wildly as he woke, turning to Hayden and shaking her gently. "Hayden, wake up." Her eyes snapped open and she pulled up her shirt, black blood coating her side as she grunted in pain.

"Where are we?" She asked, looking around, seeing a hole in the wall covered by a fence.

"I don't know." He replied, standing up and walking over to the fence. He reached one out and grabbed it, shooting back as electricity coursed through him. They both turned when they heard a chuckle behind them.

"Sorry." He sighed, hidden in the shadow. "I probably should of warned you."

"Who are you?" Liam asked, the stranger replying.

"My name's Zack." He said with a shrug. "But the better question is what am I?" When he saw their reluctant faces he shook his head. "It's okay. I'm just like you. One of the experiments. Hey, maybe you can help me keep her awake."

He scooted over to reveal Claire, who leaned against the wall as she breathed shallowly. She was paler than usual, her hair sticking to her forehead with sweat. Liam could barely hear her heart beating faintly.

"Hey guys." She gave them a weak smile and swallowed, groaning quietly as she tried to pushed herself up.

"You know them?" Zach asked, Claire nodding in return. "Do you guys think you could help me with something? The guys, in the masks, they took something off my back. I don't know what it was, but I can feel part of it still there."

"You want us to look?" Liam asked, glancing back at Zach.

"Is that okay?" He questioned, the two looking at Claire for some sort of confirmation. She just nodded, biting down on her cheek as she dragged herself over. She reached for the back of his sweatshirt, tugging it up along with his t-shirt. They all stared in shock, the tiny nubs fluttering as if wings were still connected to them.

● ● ●

Liam put his hand out to the fence slowly, groaning as it shocked him. Zach chuckled and let out a sigh, shaking his head.

"Ah, we're not getting out of here."

"How about a little optimism." Claire muttered, wincing as Hayden moved her hair out of her face, both girls leaning against the wall.

"Yeah, you're doing great over there." He said bluntly. "Besides, it's kind of hard to be optimistic when you've watched three people get dragged out of here screaming."

"What happened to them?" Liam asked, sitting next to Hayden.

"They were failures." He replied simply, looking down. "That's all they said. First, you forget. You don't know who you are or what you're doing, then you get violent. I watched two of the almost kill each other. One of them, had a nasty looking cut. Just like that."

Hayden pulled down her shirt, covering the wound. "Don't worry." He shook his head. "Black is okay. It's only really over when you start bleeding other stuff. Then it starts turning silver."

"Mercury." Claire sighed, wetting her lips. They must have taken a pint or two, and it was really taking a toll on her. There was no doubt they would come back for more, even if it killed her.

"That's when they know you're really a failure."

"How many failures are there supposed to be?" Liam asked, shifting around.

"Who knows." He answered. "But doesn't it make you wonder what the success is going to look like? I mean, what are we turning into? Something with claws and fangs?"

"Something with wings."Liam added.

"Something worse." Claire said quietly, gaining their attention. "And I have a feeling it's going to be my fault."

● ● ●

Claire pinched herself for the fourth time as her eyelids grew heavy, trying to stay awake as it grew darker. She sat up when a light started flashing through the hole, the sound of static filling her ears.

"They're coming." She breathed, eyes wide as she looked over at Zach, who wiped at the silvery substance dripping from his nose. Mercury.

"Oh, god." He gasped, looking over as one of the doctors opened up the fence. "No, no, no."

"Stop it!" Hayden pleaded, Claire squeezing her eyes shut as she heard him screaming. "Stop!"

"No, stop!" He cried, making her flinch. "Help me!" She heard him continue to scream for help, the girl trembling as she heard the gate close.

When she opened her eyes they were shiny with tears, overwhelmed with guilt. She couldn't help him. She just sat there, helpless while another child was dragged to his death. Because she was too scared, too weak. She felt sick to her stomach, thinking how Scott would have done something.

How Allison would have done something.

And she had failed both of them.

● ● ●

Claire jumped when someone grabbed her shoulder, keeping her awake. "They're coming back." Liam said, helping Hayden up and grasping her hand tightly. Claire didn't move, she was on the brink of slipping into unconsciousness.

"Liam? Hayden?" Theo's voice sounded, her eyebrows furrowing in surprise. "Claire?"

"No, Theo don't!" They all flinched as Theo grabbed the gate, electricity crackling and flinging him back into the ground. "Theo? Theo are you alright?"

The omega stirred slightly, groaning as he sat up. "Yeah." He assured, standing up slowly. "Yeah I'm fine."

"You think you could get help?" The words tasted sour in Claire's mouth, the word help pounding in her ears. Always needing help.

"I am the help." He shrugged, Liam backing up as Theo stepped towards the fence again, hesitating for a moment before grabbing it again. Electricity lit up the room as he pried apart the fence, eyes glowing with a loud growl. Claire let out a breath of relief as he stepped through the whole, kneeling by her imeadietly. "You okay?"

"They took a lot of blood." Liam answered as Theo's arm snuck around her waist, pulling her up. "She can barely stay awake."Her knees buckled slightly, but Theo made sure she didn't fall, supporting her as they walked. Her eyes met his, the girl uttering two words.

"Thank you."

________________________

Not edited.

Guess what guys, double update. The next chapter should be up in a few minutes.

I just have one thing to say about the next chapter.

ScLaIrE

OMFG YOU GUYS RETURN IS AT 2K IM CRYING

VOTE AND COMMENT LOVES

Xx