Prologue: Flames of Reflection

"Mom! Daddy!"

The girl shrieked and reached out towards her parents. The burning ceiling fell before her eyes, erupting in a shroud of fire as it landed, separating her from those she loved dearly.

She fell on her knees.

It was her own flames that raged around her.

It was her who burned down their home.

It was by her hands that the fire had awoken.

How could this have happened? How could everything fall apart just like that in an instant?

Amidst the chaos and destruction of her home, the girl reflected on how this had all begun. She had only been curious, the temptation having been too strong for her. Who would have suspected it would have been no different from the opening of Pandora's Box, where discovery would unleash the end of the world as she currently knew it? It could have been avoided too, had she listened to her own hesitation.

Everything was crumbling. The walls, the ceiling, they were all crashing down.

The thought of causing the deaths of her loved ones filled her with grief, cutting deep into her being. She may as well allow the flames to swallow her now, and end the existence that brought on this tragedy.

Why would she have this kind of power? What meaning was there in it?

Her once lively spirit began to fall apart.

She could hear the sirens outside. Help must have finally come, all too late. It was already over. She had lost everything, all because of her.

She curled up into a ball, awaiting whatever fate she deserved to be thrown at her, when the most unexpected thing occurred. From out of the flames sprung a shadow-like figure. Its form was obscure yet frightening, while at the same time, comforting. It was an odd feeling. Perhaps, for the girl, it was acceptance for the coming of the Grim Reaper.

But it was not here to take her life. She felt her body being lifted up by strong arms.

As the heat and smoke began to choke out her consciousness, her mind drifted back to the not-so-distant past, before the beginning of chaos.

Why did this have to happen?