Chapter 2.8 - Free Pudding

Ryan screwed the ventilation panel shut. His hands were covered in dust, and although he had tried to avoid it, his work uniform was in need of washing. He nodded towards Carson, prompting him to turn the knob on the wall.

The air flowed smoothly now, and the interior of the convenience store felt a little more refreshing. From behind the counter, Janice clapped at the successful effort by the two males.

"Great job guys," she said. "We can finally breathe again."

Carson slapped his old friend on his back. The only reaction he received from doing so was a mildly annoyed frown. He was used to it by now. "It's handy having him around, isn't it?"

"Might want to wash that hand before you get back to work," the tanned young man advised before picking up his tools and heading to the 'staff only' room at the back of the store. Carson took a look at his palm and found it covered in dust from Ryan's shirt.

"Ugh, I'll be right back," he told Janice before dismissing himself to the washroom. The dark-skinned girl simply giggled and waved back in acknowledgement.

It was during that time that Jay and Yumi walked into the store, looking around for a certain snack food. While the two teenagers went through the few aisles in the store, Janice followed them with her eyes. Were they a couple? She had no idea about that really, but they did seem to match somehow.

Jay beamed when he looked through the refrigerated items and pulled out a plastic cup of caramel pudding. Upon getting Yumi's attention with it in his hand, she let out a delighted squeal.

"How'd you know I liked this flavor?" she said as she accepted it from his hand. The boy decided to take another one from the cold shelf for his own.

"Lucky guess," he claimed. Although he really had gone with his gut, it was also the most visually appealing in the selection.

"You're sure you want to pay for this?" Yumi asked humbly. "You don't have to, you know?"

"Consider it a—well, I just wanted to do it for you," Jay said, quickly veering away from saying anything that might remind her about the dead dog.

Yumi held the cup of pudding to her chest and smiled at him serenely. She knew that he was mainly trying to cheer her up, but she wasn't above accepting his efforts. "Thanks."

When they headed over to the cashier to pay for the snacks, Carson returned with Ryan. The latter employee, upon catching sight of the two teens, suddenly stiffened. Although the two youths hadn't noticed him up to the moment they left the store, the small slip in behavior did not go unobserved by the tanned male's coworkers.

Then they remembered, that girl with the pinkish hair was the very same girl whom he would often watch with such a tender expression as she passed by their store. It had gotten to the point where they were convinced he kept the windows as clean as can be just so he could see her better. To encounter her in such close proximity, with a boy no less; no wonder he had been so surprised.

Looks like our stoic's got a shy side to him, Carson said to himself mentally. He nudged his friend with his elbow. "Dude, just ask her out," he said. "We're not even sure those two are dating."

"I dunno, they sure looked cute enough together," Janice said. "In either case, I gotta agree. You have to act before your competition does."

Ryan frowned and rubbed the bridge of his nose tightly. "It's not what you guys think," he said with a tone laden with frustration. "It's just—I got reminded of some really bad memories."

"Yeah, right," Carson said unconvinced and crossed his arms. His old friend had always been a mystery, even for him, but this seemed like something new. "Deny it all you want, but if you keep up that passiveness of yours, it might not end well for you."

"Duly noted," Ryan spat and went back to work.