8. The Babysitting Job

Comenzar desde el principio

I slowly closed my mouth and turned around, walking to Dustin's room. "Let's go build a castle!" I exclaimed as we reached the end of the hall.

Dustin just shook his head in an apparent no.

It was certainly worth a try.

I shut the door behind me and turned to the kid.

"Okay fine, what if we build a Star Wars cas--" I cut myself off as I stared at him in confusion. "Hey, what are you doing?"

I watched as he pulled out two tall empty glasses from under his bed and handed one to me, causing me to raise an eyebrow.

"Don't you want to hear what they're talking about?" He asked me with a mischievous smirk. So much like his older brother's...

I just stared at him, debating whether to encourage the kid on being a bad-ass spy, or to give him a big lecture on morals.

Why was I even contemplating it? I was kidnapped and had a little kid as the only honest and drama-less friend. "Okay." I grinned. "What if we get caught?" I asked, looking to the small kid expectantly.

"I've never been caught before, I'm really good don't worry." He said in all seriousness.

I held back my laugh and nodded instead, showing just as much seriousness.

"Here." He handed me the glass for the second time and I took it.

I copied him as he held it against the wall, since the living room was just on the other side. He pressed his ear to it and so did I.

At first I heard nothing, thinking I was stupid enough to believe a little kid, but immediately after found myself silently apologizing for underestimating him. I could hear every single movement happening on the other side with such clarity.

"I can't just leave them! What about Dustin?" I heard Nathan say in a panicked but hushed tone.

My spy and I glanced at each other as we heard his name.

"He has the girl." I heard Alvin squeak.

"She'll escape." He argued back.

"I'll have security guarding every door." Alvin retorted.

There was silence. I could picture Nathan silently debating over whatever decision Alvin was coercing him into.

"Plus, she's been asking about you more frequently." I heard Alvin add.

"Fine." He bit out after a long pause.

I heard some shuffling, then the front door opening. "Be down in ten minutes. Make sure to hide any sharp objects before you leave. We don't want her hurting herself and making stupid decisions." Alvin ordered.

I was smart enough to know they were speaking of me and I angrily huffed. Dustin did the same, causing a small smile to take place on my lips.

At least someone was on my side.

I heard the door slam shut, then footsteps.

I stared at Dustin with wide eyes and he quickly took the two glasses and hid them under his bed again.

Bless this kid's stealth skills. He would go a long way with those...

I jumped onto his bed as we heard the footsteps closing in, sprawling myself over it and doing my best to try to look natural.

The door opened and I saw Nathan step in, stopping in his tracks as he looked between Dustin, who was currently sprawled out on the floor trying to copy me, and me, doing the same thing except I made it look ten times more unnatural.