Tadashi's Birthday

Start from the beginning

The group finished off their slices of cake in no time, and moved directly to opening presents.

"A new set of tools?" Tadashi asked suspiciously to Wasabi.

"What, it's for when you're building your future projects! We always heard about how many tools you accidentally broke when making Baymax, so here you go!"

"Thanks, Wasabi. Very thoughtful."

Next, came Honey Lemon's gift which was a light blue cardigan. It felt soft in his hands, and out of no where he started chuckling. "Well, this explains why you were measuring me a couple weeks ago, but thank you nonetheless."

Gogo got him a six-pack of Red Bull. It was kind of an inside joke between the gang. When Tadashi was working on Baymax, he would tend to fall asleep in his lab while trying to accomplish getting his project to work. Coffee wasn't doing it for him anymore and was convinced it was due to his body being so used to it now. He knew Gogo of all his friends would have good remedies on being able to stay awake better all night. Her first suggestion was to sip on a can of Red Bull throughout the night. While, Tadashi was not one to favor energy drinks, he was desperate and gave it a try. By that next morning, Tadashi was so jittery that half the things he said made no sense and his body was constantly in movement. So now every time Tadashi stated he was tired or exhausted to his friends, they would always say, "Have you tried Red Bull?"

Naturally, this is what everyone said in between their laughter after opening the gift. Gogo received a glare from Tadashi, but he still thanked her anyway.

Fred got him a comic book. No one put it past Fred to give such a gift, but Fred knew that both Hamada brothers were fans of a certain series. Tadashi wasn't going to tell Fred he already had that comic sitting on one of his shelves upstairs, so he politely thanked him, deciding that he'd give it to Hiro tomorrow.

"Hiro, how many times do I have to tell you that you don't need to get me anything for my birthday?"

Hiro actually thought about it. "Since I was six and I bought you a pack of gummy bears with my own money," he replied smugly. "Just open it!"

Tadashi started to unwrap the poorly wrapped up gift (which was how he knew it was Hiro's without having to read the tag to see who it was from). What Tadashi didn't like was the weight of the box. As curious as he was to figure out what was inside, he had hoped that the heavy gift was either a prank and it was some light-weighted surprise or that it was hopefully cheap. He hated the idea of people wasting money on him. He found thoughtfulness and appreciation in the smallest gifts. However, over the years, Hiro has always tried to 'up' the gift he got for Tadashi the previous year.

He had hoped that this gift wasn't too pricey, but he could tell just by looking at it that it was the opposite. Inside the box laid a hefty book. 'The History of Robotics'. It was hardback covered and the pages were yellow showing just how old the book really was. All Tadashi could do was stare at it in awe. "H-Hiro...how did y-"

"Lets just say I had some luck on eBay. I've had this thing stored up under my bed for months waiting to give it to you for the perfect occasion."

Tadashi rolled his eyes. "So, is this a gift for just me, or am I going to catch you reading through it in the middle of the night?"

Hiro sat up, not really sure how to answer that question, looked away and stuttered, "W-well...I don't know-"

"That's what I thought," Tadashi said cutting off Hiro.

Aunt Cass was the final gift, but she had kept it hidden. She walked into the kitchen, and back to the table hiding something behind her back.

"TA-DA!" She shouted, pulling the surprise item for everyone to see.