A Little Talk

AU of Post-Big Hero 6 sequel with Alive!Tadashi. Hiro has become super protective of Tadashi ever since he regained his memories and Tadashi has a little chat with him about it. Inspired by a tumblr post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been three weeks since Tadashi regained his memories and started living in his old home again. Throughout the course of these last few weeks, he's noticed his little brother, Hiro being there for him no matter what. However, it's gotten carried away. Hiro jumps at the sound of the slightest sound just to make sure Tadashi is okay. One day, him, Tadashi and Baymax were just a block away from the cafe and Tadashi tripped, scrapping his knee a little. Hiro instantly panicked and begged Baymax to carry him back home to care for him. Although Tadashi has appreciated it, he knew he had to have a chat with his brother about his careful behavior towards him.

Tadashi walked back upstairs to the sight of Hiro on his side of the room. Even now, Tadashi didn't like him over there when he wasn't in the room.

"Hiro?" Tadashi asked, startling the boy.

Hiro jumped, but knew the familiar sound of his brother's voice. He liked being able to hear his voice again and it being in real life. It didn't occur to him that Tadashi was a bit short-tempered at the fact he was on his side of the room and he was smiling at the sight of him being back to discuss the surprise he had for him.

"Oh, hey Tadashi," Hiro said with happiness glowing in his voice. "It was kinda supposed to be a surprise, but I was planning on getting you more supportive pillows. These old ones are so old and floppy. Your neck must feel really stiff in the morning. Maybe I should get one that can massage too. What do you think?"

At this point, Tadashi wasn't even going to kick him out of the room like the old days. Those days were in the past and the situation is in serious need of being taken care of lightly.

"You don't need to do that. Although a massaging neck pillow wouldn't hurt to have," Tadashi joked. He sighed not knowing how to start his talk with Hiro. It's been awhile since they've had a conversation like this. "Listen, uh....we need to have a little talk," he finally let out.

The room suddenly felt still to both of them. Tadashi walked over to his side of the room. He motioned for Hiro to take a seat of his bed. As he sat down next to him, Tadashi let another sigh escape from his lips. He knew what he was going to say would hurt his brother, but it had to be done.

"Hiro, I know that ever since I regained my memories and recovered from my burns, you've been taking good care of me, but you don't have to be so protective. Look at you. You're worrying yourself sick at just the sound of me getting up from my bed. You're barely getting any sleep and you're not doing anything for yourself anymore. I understand why you're doing this, but you don't have to."

"Yes, I do. You've always been there for me when I've needed you most. Even when we all thought you were dead, your advice was something I'd think back to in times of struggle. It's my turn to do things for you. I have to make sure you're okay."

Hiro's voice croaked as tears formed in his eyes. Flashbacks of the explosion at the institute and the battle between him and Tadashi played in his mind.

"I-I don't want t-to lose you again," he got out as a single tear drifted down from his left eye. "I just g-got you back. I don't w-want anything to happen to you again. I missed you, Tadashi."

Hiro curled up into a fetal position on Tadashi's bed. Tadashi had noticed his brother visibly expressing more emotions lately. Sadness was never something he'd like to show let alone admit to before the explosion.

Tadashi reached his arm around Hiro's neck and upper back, pulling him closer to him so they could hug. Tadashi held onto him, letting him hear the sound of his heartbeat as he continued to sob. Beat after beat, Hiro felt more safe in the arms of his brother. After what happened all that time ago, he never thought he'd hear this sound again. Nothing had ever been so soothing and yet, so terrifying at the same time. In the back of his mind, Hiro feared that this moment wouldn't last and another terrible thing could happen. What would happen if Hiro let his brother out of sight again? What would happen if he wasn't protected?

"I missed you too," Tadashi said, breaking the silence (with the acceptance of Hiro's sobbing which was starting to go down) between them. He could only hope what he had to say next would make him feel better. "You need to know that everything I did in the past for you I did because I wanted to and for no other reason. It wasn't because I expected you to do the same one day or because I felt like I had to. You're my brother, Hiro. All I have ever wanted is what's best for you. You don't need to worry about me like this all the time. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Someday in the near future, we'll go back to our nerd school together and work on projects like we used to when we were kids. We're gonna help a lot of people together someday. I promise you that."

Tadashi was right; Hiro felt a lot better after he said that. But it didn't take away the fear Hiro was still holding onto about what could happen if he was unable to stop Tadashi from another terrible form of fate.

"I know we will," Hiro said looking up at his brother with a tear stuck to his cheek. "But what if I can't be there if something bad happens to you again?"

Tadashi wiped away the tear on Hiro's cheek with his thumb. "Hey, no matter what happens to me - whether it's the smallest thing or what you all thought did happen at one point - I'll be okay and I'll always be there for you. We're brothers. We're family. We'll always be in each other's thoughts and hearts. I love you, knucklehead," Tadashi said ruffling his hair.

Hiro smiled at his brother, playfully pushing his hand away, letting out a small laugh. "Love you too."

Both of them meant that more than words can say, but they'd never admit to each other how weird it felt to them saying those words so directly. They usually express it with fist bumping or encouraging advice. 'I love you' was something they rarely ever said to each other. But in this moment, it felt right and both of them wanted to let the other know how much they meant to each other.

"Now, are you gonna stop worrying about me all the time so I can breathe?" Tadashi asked sarcastically.

"Yeah, but I'm still thinking about getting you a new pillow. I mean, how do you sleep at night leaning your head against that?"

"Because I'm used to my pillows being that way. Come on, lets go get some dessert from the cafe."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm gonna cry. Sorry for the feels everyone, but I had an idea and this had to be written. The Hamada bros will never fail to stop making me sappy.