Afterlife

We all know how Hiro dealt with the pain of Tadashi's death, but how does Tadashi feel learning about his fate?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Fire consumed his being, eating at his flesh until he could no longer scream in agony. Clouds slowly formed in his eyes as he closed them, accepting that these moments were his last and there was nothing he could do to stop it.

And then he died.

Tadashi opened his eyes seeing nothing, except the stars in the sky. For a moment, everything felt at peace to him and he liked it when things felt right. It's moments like those where you feel like nothing bad could ever happen in your world, and it's okay to have those thoughts every once in awhile.

But after a minute, he felt confused. Why I am looking at the stars? Tadashi thought to himself. Am I dreaming?

Tadashi looked to the side, noticing two shadow-like figures close by. They were holding each other in their arms while looking down. He could hear a feminine sob from where he was. His caring instincts kicked in and decided to walk over to the couple. He felt much lighter on his feet than usual.

"Is everything alright?" Asked Tadashi as he approached the couple.

The figures simultaneously peered up at Tadashi, staring at him with fascination. In turn, Tadashi looked at the two with a much more alarmed expression and gasped at the sight of them. His heart began to pound as he took a step back. Could it really be them? Tadashi questioned himself. My parents?

The couple stood up, and without saying a word grabbed onto Tadashi and embraced him, gripping tightly. Tadashi was still stunned as to what was happening, but he felt the love in the hug and that's how he knew he was right; these two people are his parents.

How is this possible? Tadashi asked. How can I be hugging them if they're dead? This must be a dream...

After what felt like an eternity to them all, the hug broke down and the mother looked into her son's eyes.

"We've missed you, Tadashi," she said with tears filling her eyes.

Tadashi smiled at his mom. "I've missed both of you too. A lot."

"How's Hiro been since...well...y'know..." the father asked not wanting to bring up any painful memories.

"He's been good. You'd be so proud of him. He's a genius. I'll have you know he's just been accepted to San Fransokyo Institute of Technology. It'll be nice to work on projects with him like the old days."

The parents looked concerned at him and exchanged looks with each other. How would they break the news to their son of what happened?

"Uh...Tadashi?" The father questioned placing a hand on his shoulder. "I...I hate to tell you this, but...you're not going to be making inventions with him. You do remember what happened awhile back, don't you?"

Tadashi felt confused again. "What do you mean what happened?"

"Tadashi, sweetie...there was a fire at the institute and you ran into the building to go save your professor. You remember that now, right?"

Tadashi thought about it before it started coming back to him. He remembered being told that Professor Callaghan was still in the burning building. He remembered Hiro pleading for him not to go. He remembered telling him that someone had to help and ran inside the building. Lastly, he remembered fire. Everywhere.

Tadashi's mouth slightly hung open as his final memories came rushing back. All he could do was nod in response to his mother's question.

"Honey...there's no easy way to say this, but.....," his mother trailed off as tears rushed down he face. "....there was an explosion...and you di–didn't make it."

The mother wrapped her arms around Tadashi's neck and upper back, sobbing uncontrollably. This time, Tadashi didn't return the hug. He stood frozen with one thought echoing in his mind.

I'm....dead?

He stepped away from his crying mother and looked away into the sky. His heart was pounding out of his chest and brown eyes wider than an egg. He breathed rapidly and felt a rush of panic burst through his body, following with a sharp tingle going down his spine. He throat felt choked up with tears building up in his eyes to go with it.

"I..didn't?" he asked, mostly talking to himself. "I'm dead? B-but this can't be true. I was just with Hiro after the showcase. All I was trying to do was find Callaghan and get him out of the building safely. I HAVE TO BE ALIVE!"

Tears escaped Tadashi's eyes and a frown formed across his face. The frown started to twitch as Tadashi fell to his knees. "How could I let this happen to myself? All I was trying to do was save Callaghan's life. After ALL HE'S TAUGHT ME!"

Tadashi faced his head down watching as the tears fell down from his cheeks. His father walked over to him, placing his hand on his upper back. "Son, I understand that this is difficult for you to accept, but it's the truth. While neither one of us are thrilled that you are not still alive, I want you to know that both your mother and I couldn't be prouder of you. You were a bit of a troublemaker like your brother, but you grew up to be a caring, successful young man. You cared to Hiro when no one else could–"

"Well WHO'S GONNA BE THERE FOR HIM NOW?" Tadashi asked angrily.

Rage clouded Tadashi's emotions. He always tried to stay mellow, having a very low temper. But this was different. Tadashi was dead and he didn't know what to do or how to feel. He felt guilty that he could no longer be there for Hiro. He felt angry that he let himself risk his life, even if it was his choice. He didn't want to be dead.

"I know Aunt Cass will take care of Hiro, but he's never opened up to her EVER. I know he loves her, but....he's always had an easier time telling me things. AND NOW I'M NOT THERE FOR HIM WHENEVER HE'LL NEED ME NOW! I'M DEAD AND IT'S ALL MY FAULT!"

"Maybe so...but it was your fate. You were supposed to die tonight. Just like me and your mother were meant to die ten years ago in that car accident. We had a hard time accepting being dead too. We missed you terribly everyday. But then, we both watched you all day. We watched you and Hiro make your crazy inventions. We've watched you fight, but we've enjoyed the times where you forgive each other and grow into two amazing people. You've helped shape Hiro into an incredible person and now you can watch as he learns to help himself."

"But what if he doesn't? Not only does he have to live with the fact that I'm gone, but I know he watched as the building exploded. That's traumatizing. What if he can't move on?"

"I know you're scared for Hiro, but I also know that you never gave up on him once in your life. You didn't give up on him when he was trying to come up with an idea for the showcase and I know you won't give up on him even if you can't be there for him anymore."

"Hiro's going to miss you very much. There's no avoiding the truth in that. But that can only tell you how much of a great job you did being a positive influence on his life. He misses you right now, and he'll never not miss you for as long as he lives. But I know the pain will eventually get better. All you can do now is join us in watching over him," the mother said wiping the last of her tears away.

Tadashi felt himself calm down more. His parents wisdom was something he loved about them as a child and was glad to receive once again....despite the moment being heavy.

Tadashi smiled for the first time since he entered the afterlife. "As long as I'm here with you now, nothing would make me happier. I'm so sorry for getting upset. It's just so hard to believe that I'm dead."

"It is for us too," said the father.

"While a part of us wishes that you could still be with Hiro and Cass and your friends, we're so glad you're not still in the building suffering anymore," said the mother.

"...Welcome to Heaven, Tadashi."