XV; Waiting For The Sarcasm

Dan got to the hospital in silence, sitting in the waiting room for what felt like hours.

Critical condition.

One survivor.

His mind was racing with questions, and his throat felt dry while he waited in the room. Every minute made the room tenser. The white walls, the receptionist with a pity look on her face, the doctors racing in and out. He was scared, his stomach tied in some sort of knot that made him feel like he was going to be sick. He was going to be sick if he was left in this complete and utter silence. 

"Mr. Howell?" Asked a man about his age. "I-I talked to you on the phone, I'm Isaac Hunter." He held out his hand, "I'm a Detective." His voice was soft, blue eyes holding something relative to fear. 

Dan took a deep breath, giving him a small smile, which practically hurt his face. "Hi." He mumbled, rubbing his hands on his pants. "C-Charlie didn't make it then?" He asked softly, and Isaac's eyes fell to the ground slowly. Dan knew the answer to his question. His date had gone from beautiful and exciting to terrifying. He took a deep breath. "What happened?" 

Isaac took a seat next to him, tugging at the brown curls on his head that reminded Dan of a mop. "Someone took them, and one of our Officers caught the face of one of them. They were a fugitive. They uh.. They were trying to get away with them and.. Hit a pole. Charlie and the driver died on impact, Hailey's in critical condition."

There it was again. Critical condition. Tears welled up in his eyes and he pulled his knees up to his chest, heaving a breath. He couldn't even move, more less speak. His best friend in the whole world could die, and he was sure it was the man he loved's fault.

Speaking of Phil, he had five missed calls, two voice mails and seventeen new text messages. He hadn't built up the courage to apologize yet, he hadn't even accepted the situation. 

"She's awake." A Doctor announced as he walked over to Dan. "You can go see her." 

Dan took that chance to stand up straight, making his way into the room.

He almost threw up there too. There were cuts on her face, bruises speckled along her arms. He reached out for a moment, drawing his hand back as if he could hurt her.

"Hailey," He breathed, and the girl on the bed gave him a smile. "H-Hi Dan. Uh, sorry, I-I don't have any sarcastic comments for this situation right now. Give me a second." She mumbled. He walked closer to her, right at her bedside, and gently hugged her. "God, I'm so happy you're okay." "I'm not quite God, Dan." Hailey replied back, and he chuckled. "There's the sarcastic comment."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I CRIED WRITING THIS BYE