VII; We're like fire and gasoline

i was in the car with my mum while this chapter came to mind.

we listened to a song that said "baby we're like fire and gasoline, i'm no good for you and you're no good for me" or something, and i wondered. maybe dan isnt good for phil and the other way around, but they still try?

--------------

Phil had called Dan atleast seven times, each ending with a voicemail where he cried and choked and shuffled too much.

He didn't want Dan to hear any of them, ever. They were needy and gross, and he wasn't even making sense half of the time. He just wanted to make sure Dan didn't hate him. Make sure Dan wasn't pissed and was planning to end their friendship.

Friendship? Could he even call it friendship?

There was a knock, and Phil opened the door. Dan was there, arms crossed. "Hey Phil." He stated, looking away. "I'm not here to tell you we're still friends or something," He said quickly, "I'm here to tell you we can't be friends." "What?" Phil opened his mouth, jaw hanging open as he stuttered incoherent words. "Why not?" He finally spluttered.

"I'm posh, and I get sick at blood on screens. You own guns, have tattoos, heck, I bet you run a gang." Dan replied, "So, fire doesn't work with flowers."

"You have to keep flowers away from fire so they don't burn." Phil mumbled, and Dan nodded. "That's the point I'm making here. You, you're fire. I'm flowers. You can burn me." Phil shook his head, and clenched his fists. "I wouldn't." The brunette ran a hand through his hair, before fixing his flower crown. "I don't know that." He said quietly. Soon, Dan had left, shutting the door behind him.

------------

Dan arrived then at the coffee shop, feeling terrible. "Regular." He mumbled to Hailey as he sat down. She nodded, "Not like you." She joked. Dan usually would have laughed and made fun of her, but he stayed silent. "Oh, okay." She mumbled, and turned away to make his coffee.

When she returned, she set it down in front of him, chewing on a cookie. "What's up lame-o?" She joked, and Dan chuckled dryly. "The sky? Or maybe the gas prices?" He mumbled, and unamused, Hailey whined. "That's so nerdy to say."

"Nothing, though. Just a little under the weather." Dan lied, giving her a small smile. Hailey shook her head, "Seriously Dan."

"Nothing." He repeated.